Barber Examination Information
The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) offers Barber examinations at locations around the state on a day to be scheduled by the applicant. You may schedule Barber examinations at several locations around the state. You will receive an eligibility postcard from PSI once you meet all eligibility requirements. The postcard contains instructions for registering and scheduling examinations. You should obtain the Candidate Information Bulletin (CIB) below, which provides you with detailed information about the examination administered by PSI.
The written examination is offerred in Abilene, Amarillo, Arlington, Austin, Corpus Christi, Dallas, El Paso, Fort Worth, Harlingen, Houston, Lubbock, Midland, San Antonio, Tyler and Waco.
The practical examination is offered in Austin, San Antonio, the DFW Metroplex, the Greater Houston area, McAllen, El Paso, Midland and Amarillo.
The CIB’s are available for download in Adobe Acrobat .pdf format. Acrobat Reader is necessary to view .pdf files. If you need to obtain a copy of this program it is available as a free download for Windows or Macintosh operating systems.
- Class A Barber
- Barber Manicurist
- Barber Technician
- Barber Technician Manicurist
- Barber Hair Weaving
- Barber Technician Hair Weaving
- Barber Instructor
- Lesson Plan Form
The Barber examinations are developed and delivered by PSI. For general information about PSI, go to PSI's website. For information about the PSI testing program or, if you are eligible, to register, go to www.psiexams.com.
Barbering students who pass the practical examination may now receive a temporary license at the PSI testing site. To obtain your temporary license you must follow these steps:
- AFTER your school notifies TDLR that you have completed enough hours to sit for the written examination, but BEFORE the day you pass the written examination, apply and pay for your license.
- Satisfy all requirements needed to obtain a license before TDLR sends your practical examination eligibility record to PSI
- Once you pass the practical examination, your temporary license will print at PSI; you may immediately begin work that day. The temporary license is good for 21 days while TDLR sends the 2-year license in the mail.
If you have not followed these steps, you will not be issued a temporary license after you pass your practical examination. However, TDLR will print your license just as soon as all license requirements are satisfied.