- License Renewal and Exam Information
- Search Cosmetology Licenses
- Online License Renewal
- Duplicate Receipt for Online Renewal
- Duplicate Receipt for Online Application
- Order Cosmetology Law and Rule Book Online
- Duplicate Receipt for Book Order
- Change Contact Information Online
- Order a Duplicate License
- Pay Penalties Online
- Cosmetology Exam Information
- Exam Eligibility, Exam Results and Student Hours
- Guidelines for License Applicants with Criminal Convictions
- Enforcement Plan
- Criminal History Evaluation Letter
- Schools and Continuing Education
- Forms, FAQs, Rules, Law and Inspections
- Meetings and Information
The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) offers cosmetology examinations at locations around the state on a day to be scheduled by the applicant. You may schedule Cosmetology examinations at several locations around the state. You will receive an eligibility postcard from PSI once you meet all eligibility requirements. The postcard contains instructions for registering and scheduling examinations. You should obtain the Candidate Information Bulletin (CIB) which provides you with detailed information about the examination administered by PSI.
The written examination is offerred in Abilene, Amarillo, Arlington, Austin, Corpus Christi, Dallas, El Paso, Fort Worth, Harlingen, Houston, Lubbock, Midland, San Antonio, Tyler and Waco.
The practical examination is offered in Austin, San Antonio, the DFW Metroplex, the Greater Houston area, McAllen, El Paso, Midland and Amarillo.
The Cosmetology examinations are developed and delivered by PSI. For general information about PSI, go to the company’s website at www.psionline.com. For information about the PSI testing program or, if you are eligible, to register, go to www.psiexams.com.
A Candidate Information Bulletin (CIB) is available by clicking on the appropriate link below. The CIB’s are available for download in Adobe Acrobat .pdf format. Acrobat Reader is necessary to view .pdf files. If you need to obtain a copy of this program it is available as a free download for Windows or Macintosh operating systems.
|English||En español||Tieng Viet|
|Esthetician/Manicurist||Esteticista/Manicurista||Chuyên Gia Chăm Sóc Trị Liệu Da Mặt/Chuyên Viên Về Móng|
Tejador de Pelo
Chuyên Viên Đan/Dệt Tóc
Chuyên Viên Tóc Giả
|Eyelash Extension||Extensión de Pestaña||Kết Nối Lông Mi|
Cosmetology students who pass the practical examination may now receive a temporary license at the PSI testing site. To obtain your temporary license you must follow these steps:
1. AFTER your school notifies TDLR that you have completed enough hours to sit for the written examination, but BEFORE the day you pass the written examination, apply and pay for your license. You can apply and pay for your license online at https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/App_Online/
2. Satisfy all requirements needed to obtain a license before TDLR sends your practical examination eligibility record to PSI
3. Once you pass the practical examination, your temporary license will print at PSI; you may immediately begin work that day. The temporary license is good for 21 days while TDLR sends the 2-year license in the mail.
If you have not followed these steps, you will not be issued a temporary license after you pass your practical examination. However, TDLR will print your license just as soon as all license requirements are satisfied.
- Fiscal Year 2013 Cosmetology Exam Statistics by Month
- Fiscal Year 2012 Cosmetology Exam Statistics by Month (35KB PDF)
- Fiscal Year 2011 Cosmetology Exam Statistics by Month (33KB PDF)