Texas Used Automotive Parts Recyclers

If you operate a Used Automotive Parts Recycling Business in Texas, you must have a license issued by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR). Depending on the type of business you operate, you may also need a license from the new Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV).

Previously, when licensed by the TxDMV, you could choose from one or a combination of the following six salvage vehicle dealer license types: New Automobile Dealer; Salvage Pool Operator; Used Automobile Dealer; Salvage Vehicle Broker; Used Vehicle Parts Dealer; or Salvage Vehicle Rebuilders. The Used Vehicle Parts Dealer licensing was transferred to TDLR. The name was changed to Used Automotive Parts Recycler.

The remaining five license types continue to be regulated by TxDMV and did not transfer to TDLR. Depending on your type of business, you may now need licenses from both TDLR and TxDMV.

Used Automotive Parts Recyclers

Military Service Members, Veterans, and Spouses - For more information about applying as a military spouse please go to the Military Spouse FAQs page.

At their meeting held August 20, 2014, the Texas Commission of Licensing and Regulation adopted the rule review of 16 Texas Administrative Code (TAC) Chapter 87, Used Automotive Parts Recyclers, effective September 15, 2014. The rule review adoption was published in the September 26, 2014 issue of the Texas Register (39 TexReg 7785) TDLR encourages all persons interested in the Used Automotive Parts Recyclers program to review the rule review adoption.  The adoption justification is available online.

Questions? Email TDLR at cs.parts.recycling@tdlr.texas.gov or call 800-803-9202        

Ten Most Common Code Violations for Used Automotive Parts Recyclers

NEW - Order a duplicate license online

Change your contact information online

TDLR is now accepting online payment for administrative penalties.

There are two license types in the Used Automotive Parts Recyclers program:


To be eligible for a Used Automotive Parts Recycling Business License, an applicant must:

  • submit a completed TDLR Used Automotive Parts Recycling Business Application;
  • provide a valid federal tax ID number (sole proprietors may use a Social Security number);
  • maintain a general liability insurance policy in an amount not less than $250,000 and attach a certificate of insurance to your application;
  • provide proof of a storm water permit (see below);
  • pass a criminal background check (for all principals of the company); and
  • pay a fee of $120.

Storm Water Permit: If you’ve applied for a storm water permit, but have not yet received it, you may still apply for this license. Information about how to get your storm water permit is available from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality at (512) 239-1000, or online at www.tceq.state.tx.us/nav/permits/sw_permits.html.


If you work at a Used Automotive Parts Recycling Business in Texas, you may need a Used Automotive Parts Recycler Employee License. Licenses are required for employees who acquire a vehicle or used automotive parts and sell used automotive parts.

To be eligible for this license, an applicant must:

FOR MORE INFORMATION - Send an email to automotive.parts.recyclers @tdlr.texas.gov or call (800) 803-9202 or (512) 463-6599.

Report Violations or File Complaints Online



small image of state of texas with horizontal line on each side