NOTE: If you feel your vehicle should not have been towed without your consent you may request a hearing with any Justice of the Peace court in the county from which the motor vehicle was towed. This hearing must be requested within 14 business days (not including Saturdays, Sundays and legal holidays) of the date the vehicle owner receives notice from the vehicle storage facility holding the vehicle. Please refer to your receipt for that information. For more information about your rights as a vehicle owner, refer to the Texas Occupations Code, Chapter 2308, Subchapter J. (Rights of Owners and Operators of Stored or Booted Vehicles).
In order for the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation to pursue an investigation of your Vehicle Towing complaint please provide all documentation and information related to your complaint. If your complaint does not contain enough information for the Department to make a determination that a violation has occurred, your complaint may not be opened for investigation.
When completing section D of this form, important information to support your complaint may include:
Documentation to support your complaint may include: (Please do not send original documents. All documents you send us will be scanned, electronically saved, and then destroyed.)
- complete explanation of your complaint
- name, address, telephone, and license number of tow company and storage facility
- date, time and location of accident, tow, and/or storage of vehicle, etc.
- reason your vehicle was towed
- names of persons who gave or refused to give you information about the vehicle
- names, addresses, and telephone numbers of any involved insurance companies
- names, addresses, and telephone numbers of any witness you mention in your complaint
Please submit additional documentation in support of your complaint to the Department by fax (512)539-5698 or mail to TDLR, Enforcement Division, P.O. Box 12157, Austin, Texas 78711. Please do not send original documents. All documents you send us will be scanned, electronically saved, and then destroyed. Submitted documentation can only be received via e-mail, fax or regular mail. Attachments cannot be submitted with this link.
- accident and police reports
- business cards/advertisements
- copies of correspondence to and from insurance company regarding claim(s)
- notification letters
- photographs (parking lots, entrances and any signs posted)
- written statements made to police, or insurance company
- damage estimates
- copies of all documentation given to you by the towing company