What to Expect During a Cosmetology Salon Inspection
On this page:
The inspector will arrive, introduce himself/herself and present a State ID. The inspector’s State ID contains the inspector’s employee number. If you would like to confirm an inspector’s identity, please call our customer service division at 800-803-9202. One of our representatives will verify the inspector’s name and employee number.
The inspector will ask to speak to the owner or manager. If neither is available, the inspector will notify the person in charge that the inspection will proceed.
The inspection will check for the following items:
Required Postings, Forms and Lists
- Current facility license
- Consumer complaint sign
- Most recent inspection report
- Current operator licenses (with current photo of licensee attached)
- Foot spa, foot tub, or non-whirlpool foot basin cleaning record, if applicable
- A list of independent contractors
Health and Sanitation Standards
- Work stations
- Implements cleaned and sanitized before use on each client
- Wet disinfectants
- Dry storage areas
- Towel storage (clean and soiled)
- Shampoo area
- Hair swept up after each client
- Single use items being discarded after each use.
- Restrooms (hot and cold running water, clean and in working order, no chemicals stored in restroom)
- Walls, floors, furniture, and equipment are clean and in good repair in accordance with the sanitation rules
- An autoclave, dry heat sterilizer or ultra violet sanitizer, if the salon is providing manicure or pedicure nail services.
- Check that prohibited products are not in the salon and that no prohibited practices are being performed.
Results of Inspections
After the inspector completes the inspection, the inspector will review the inspection results with the facility owner, manager or representative. The inspector will ask for a signature indicating that the inspection has been completed. The facility owner, manager or representative will receive a copy of the report and any deficiencies that have been explained must be corrected within 10 days.
For a full list of requirements to be checked during an inspection, please review the Cosmetology Establishment Inspection Reference Guide.