Information Technology/ Software Development Services - (Database Administrator III)
- Posting Number: 0405-21
- Group/Step: B24, Position: 568
- Opening Date: 04/06/21
- Closing Date: until filled
- $72,144- $82,500 annually
The Database Administrator is selected by and responsible to a Manager of Software Development Services and performs highly complex database administration work. Working closely with other Information Technology staff, the Database Administrator plans, develops, maintains, and monitors integrated database systems; evaluates and reviews policies and procedures; and maintains data integrity. May supervise the work of others. Works under limited supervision, with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. The Database Administrator performs related duties as assigned, including participating in extensive opportunities to acquire additional skills in support of IT needs. Occasional weekend and evening or on-call work may be required. Minimal travel may be required.
- Coordinates and/or conducts analysis, design, modification, and maintenance of database management systems and structures.
- Coordinates, recommends and implements database security standards and controls, and user access levels in production and development database environments, adhering to the Principle of Least Privilege.
- Coordinates staff training for use of database environments.
- Designs and implements procedures necessary to save, retrieve, and recover databases from hardware and software failures.
- Identifies, investigates, and resolves database production issues.
- Evaluates and recommends database software packages for potential acquisition.
- Assists in developing guidelines, policies and procedures for the use and improvement of efficient and cost-effective high-integrity database systems.
- Performs and reviews logical and physical data modeling, designs relational database models, and creates physical data models from logical data models.
- Performs database performance monitoring and implements efficiency improvements.
- Performs analysis and prepares documentation of new/existing database environments, agency disaster recovery responsibilities and standard operating procedures.
- Plans, supports, and implements the installation of database software and migrations to new data management system levels; performs and verifies tests and data migrations ensuring reliability and functionality.
- Assists in developing budgets for database management systems.
- Complies with division and/or agency training as required.
- Demonstrates a spirit of teamwork, offering positive and constructive ideas, encouragement, and support to other members of the staff and team, while upholding the Agency’s core values.
- Keeps management appropriately informed of ongoing activities and critical matters affecting the operations and well-being of Information Technology and the Department.
- Adheres to all Department procedures and personnel policies required to maintain Division operations.
Two (2) years of experience developing and maintaining databases in Microsoft SQL Server or similar environments required. Two (2) years of experience in writing and deploying Microsoft SQL Server or similar scripting required. Experience requirements may run concurrently. Graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in computer science, computer information systems, or management information systems or related field is generally preferred.
Strongly preferred experience in/with:
- Applying database user/application permissions in a Microsoft SQL Server environment.
- Administration of Microsoft SQL Server database environments.
- SQL Server performance monitoring
- Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) database function methodologies.
Preferred experience in/with:
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) Microsoft SQL Server or Microsoft Azure SQL cloud database environments.
- Analyzing and applying database patching and upgrades.
- PowerShell scripting, task automation and configuration management.
- Team Foundation Server (TFS) administration.
- Administration of secure file transfer in the GoAnywhere Managed File Transfer (MFT) environment.
- Administration of SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS).
- Experience in analyzing server OS patching.
- Licensing System development.
- 3rd-party software upgrades.
Experience that is helpful:
- Developing Power BI reports
- Microsoft Windows C# application development
- TFS use
- GoAnywhere MFT environment use
- Developing SSRS reports
- Developing Database Warehouse technologies and/or strategy
- Application security scanning
- Windows Server operating system permissions
- Working with an Active Directory environment
- Training others.
Veterans, Reservists or Guardsmen with an MOS or additional duties that fall in the fields of 127D- Paralegal Specialist, YN- Yeoman, 4421- Legal Services Specialist, 4422- Legal Services or other related fields pertaining to the minimum experience requirements may meet the minimum qualifications for this position and are highly encouraged to apply.
Additional Military Crosswalk information can be accessed at:
Knowledge of the limitations and capabilities of computer systems, of the techniques used in the design of automated systems, of information technology equipment, of computer hardware and software, of computer operating systems. Knowledge of Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) methodologies. Skill in troubleshooting application, database and computer problems; in developing or revising program and database code; in scheduling, testing, installing, documenting and implementing programs. Skill in the use of personal computer and applicable applications. Ability to manage multiple tasks; to identify and define user task needs; and, to process information logically. Ability to conduct short-range and long-range project planning studies; to communicate effectively, orally and in writing; and, to acquire additional skills and responsibilities. Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with all staff; and to supervise the work of others.
Applications may be downloaded from TDLR’s website https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/employ.htm.
E-mail or fax applications to: TDLR, Human Resources Office, Austin Texas 78711, Fax (512) 475-3377. E-mail Human.Resources@tdlr.texas.gov. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of State Applications. Applications not completely filled out may be rejected. Only typed applications will be considered.
This job is not covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). FLSA-eligible employees who work in excess of 40 hours in a workweek receive time off at a time-and-one-half rate as the primary method of compensation in lieu of cash payment.
TDLR IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
TDLR participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
TDLR provides a total compensation package that enables us to attract, motivate, and retain highly skilled and talented employees, including a merit system, full use of salary ranges, performance awards, retention and recruitment bonuses.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), TDLR will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process for individuals with a disability. If you need assistance completing the application, contact TDLR Human Resources at 512-463-7184. If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodation to participate in the interview process, please notify the person scheduling the interview
In addition to a positive and supportive work environment, The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation offers a strong benefits package.
- State-paid health and life insurance plans for you;
- Optional dental plan and health insurance for your family members;
- State retirement matching contribution;
- Optional 401K and 457 Plans;
- Flexible health and dependent day care accounts;
- Optional term life insurance for you and your dependents;
- Short and long term disability insurance for you;
- Voluntary AD&D insurance;
- Retirement through the Employees Retirement System (ERS);
- Long Term Care Insurance;
- Longevity Pay;
- Direct Deposit;
- Optional after tax-contributions to a 529 Texas College Investment Plan;
- Paid sick leave accrues from your first day at work;
- Sick Leave Pool for catastrophic illnesses and injuries;
- Workers’ Compensation;
- Family Medical Leave;
- Military Leave;
- Jury Duty Leave;
- Smoke-free workplace;
- Confidential and personalized Employee Assistance Program services;
- Tuition Reimbursement Program;
- Career Paths that ensure professional growth and advancement within the agency;
- On-the-job and cross-training to develop job related skills and enrich professional growth;
- Wellness programs and activities such as yoga and massage therapy;
- Employee and family-friendly workplace;
- Flexible/Compressed work schedules;
- Paid vacation accrues from your first day worked;
- Active charitable employee associations;
- Length of Service awards;
- Generous holiday schedule;
- Employee Recognition Programs;
- Casual dress; and
- A progressive agency culture that promotes open communication, efficiency, transparency and trust.
Staff Compensation Information, as required by Government Code, Section 659.026.