Executive/ Information Security Office - Cyber Security Analyst - (Cyber Security Analyst II)
- Posting Number: 0601-21
- Group/Step: B27, Position: 538
- Opening Date: 06/03/21
- Closing Date: until filled
- $76,356- $85,000.08 annually
The Cyber Security Analyst is selected by and responsible to the Agency’s Chief Information Security Officer and performs advanced cybersecurity analysis work. Work involves protecting cybersecurity assets and delivering cybersecurity risk analysis for agency application programs/databases/licensing systems, including associated authentication/authorization systems, and recommending corrective mitigations where needed. This individual must be able to work effectively, and collaboratively, with end users, business managers, executives and IT support staff. May train others. Works under limited supervision, with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Reviews and analyzes cybersecurity alerts from cybersecurity tools, network devices, and information systems as required.
- Assist with the risk assessments using the Texas Cybersecurity Framework, conducts on-going audits and proactive security measures to better enhance the maturity of the agency’s cyber security posture.
- Reviews vulnerability scans of networks and (web) applications to assess effectiveness and identified weaknesses.
- Reviews forensic analysis of information systems and portable devices and forensic recovery of data using assessment tools as required.
- Evaluates network and system security configuration for best practices and risk-based access controls. Evaluates and documents system architecture of the various information resources at the agency to enhance the cyber security maturity.
- Reviews network traffic and flow for analysis, as required.
- Reviews cybersecurity incident detection, analysis, and prevention reporting as required.
- Researches and analyzes cybersecurity threat indicators and their behaviors and recommends threat mitigation strategies.
- Researches cybersecurity and privacy legislation, regulations, advisories, alerts, and vulnerabilities and applies recommendations as required.
- Delivers cybersecurity awareness training. Serves as a resource for secure application development methodologies.
- Assists in the evaluation of code and applications and in the mitigation of security flaws.
- Assists in identifying and evaluating new cybersecurity technologies to remediate vulnerabilities.
- Assists in advising management and users regarding security procedures.
- May assist in the coordination of disaster recovery (DR) processes; knowledge and experience in a robust DR environment.
- May review, develop and deliver cybersecurity awareness training.
- Complies with Division and/or Agency training requirements.
- Demonstrates a spirit of teamwork, offering positive and constructive ideas, encouragement and support to other members of the staff and team while upholding the agency’s core values.
- Keeps management appropriately informed of ongoing activity and critical matters affecting the operation and well-being of the agency.
- Adheres to all TDLR Personnel Policies and performs other duties as assigned.
Required experience, which may run concurrently:
- Four (4) years of experience in information security analysis work, OR cybersecurity analysis;
- Two (2) years of experience in specifically documenting data security architecture and cyber risk analysis and/or IT auditing.
- Two (2) year of experience with compliance regulations such as Texas Administrative Code chapter 202, NIST 800-53 or FISMA;
- One (1) certification from the following list: current or past/expired CISSP, any GIAC, CISM/A, CRISC, CEH, OSCP or Security+.
- Experience with a cyber security architecture and data flow documentation
- Experience with a Vulnerability Management program;
- Experience doing web application security scans/assessments
- Experience with custom dashboards and/or configurations of SIEM tools.
- Ability to work successfully, even with non-technical end users and IT support staff;
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in information technology security, computer information systems, computer science, management information systems, or a related field.
Veterans, Reservists or Guardsmen with an MOS or additional duties that fall in the fields of 127D - Paralegal Specialist, YN - Yeoman, 4421 - Legal Services Specialist, 4422 - Legal Services or other related fields pertaining to the minimum experience requirements may meet the minimum qualifications for this position and are highly encouraged to apply.
Additional Military Crosswalk information can be accessed at:
The successful candidate will have: Knowledge of the limitations and capabilities of computer systems and technology; of operational support of networks, operating systems, cloud security, TCP/IP, databases, and security infrastructure; and, of cybersecurity and information security controls, practices, procedures, and regulations. Knowledge of SDLC; and, of incident response program practices and procedures. Skill in the use of a computer and applicable software and in configuring, deploying, and monitoring security infrastructure. Ability to resolve complex security issues in diverse and decentralized environments; to plan, develop, monitor, and maintain cybersecurity and information technology security processes and controls; to communicate effectively; and to train others. Ability to implement and act as an advocate for security best practices and security awareness; to resolve complex security issues in diverse and decentralized environments; and to plan, develop, monitor, and maintain information technology security processes and controls.
Applications may be downloaded from TDLR’s website https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/employ.htm.
E-mail or fax applications to: TDLR, Human Resources Office, Austin Texas 78711, Fax (512) 475-3377. E-mail Human.Resources@tdlr.texas.gov. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of State Applications. Applications not completely filled out may be rejected. Only typed applications will be considered.
This job is not covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
TDLR provides a total compensation package that enables us to attract, motivate, and retain highly skilled and talented employees, including a merit system, full use of salary ranges, performance awards, retention and recruitment bonuses.
TDLR participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), TDLR will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process for individuals with a disability. If you need assistance completing the application, contact TDLR Human Resources at 512-463-7184. If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodation to participate in the interview process, please notify the person scheduling the interview
In addition to a positive and supportive work environment, The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation offers a strong benefits package.
- State-paid health and life insurance plans for you;
- Optional dental plan and health insurance for your family members;
- State retirement matching contribution;
- Optional 401K and 457 Plans;
- Flexible health and dependent day care accounts;
- Optional term life insurance for you and your dependents;
- Short and long term disability insurance for you;
- Voluntary AD&D insurance;
- Retirement through the Employees Retirement System (ERS);
- Long Term Care Insurance;
- Longevity Pay;
- Direct Deposit;
- Optional after tax-contributions to a 529 Texas College Investment Plan;
- Paid sick leave accrues from your first day at work;
- Sick Leave Pool for catastrophic illnesses and injuries;
- Workers’ Compensation;
- Family Medical Leave;
- Military Leave;
- Jury Duty Leave;
- Smoke-free workplace;
- Confidential and personalized Employee Assistance Program services;
- Tuition Reimbursement Program;
- Career Paths that ensure professional growth and advancement within the agency;
- On-the-job and cross-training to develop job related skills and enrich professional growth;
- Wellness programs and activities such as yoga and massage therapy;
- Employee and family-friendly workplace;
- Flexible/Compressed work schedules;
- Paid vacation accrues from your first day worked;
- Active charitable employee associations;
- Length of Service awards;
- Generous holiday schedule;
- Employee Recognition Programs;
- Casual dress; and
- A progressive agency culture that promotes open communication, efficiency, transparency and trust.
Staff Compensation Information, as required by Government Code, Section 659.026.