Program Transfer FAQs


1. I am an instructor/school do I need to do anything for the transfer?

No, TDLR will take care of the transfer. You will keep your DPS-issued license number until your license comes up for renewal. When you renew your license, TDLR will issue you a TDLR license that is valid for 2 years.

2. I have an instructor license; how do I report changes to my contact information?

You may update your contact information by downloading and completing the appropriate form:

Submit completed forms by mail to:

P.O. Box 12157
Austin, TX 78711-2157

3. I completed my CPR and First Aid training, where do I submit the certificates?

Please submit your certificates at the time of your license renewal. It is your responsibility to maintain current certifications during your licensure period, and TDLR does not require that you submit the certificates to the department before your expiration date.

4. Can I teach an ATV safety training course?

To be eligible to become an approved instructor, you must:

  • successfully complete a department-approved instructor preparation course;
  • enter into an instructor license agreement with a program sponsor; and
  • submit an application on a form prescribed by the department.
  • TDLR adopts the most current version of ASI's Instructor Preparation Course as the approved instructor preparation course for the program.

If you are approved as an instructor, you remain an instructor for the time period stated in the instructor license agreement with the program sponsor. Your instructor license may be extended or renewed as provided in the agreement.

5. Will instructors continue to use REMS?

Instructors may continue to use the Instructor Zones in REMS for "Viewing" DATA only. After 9/1/2020 the DATA on Instructor Zones will no longer be updated.

Schools (Formerly Program Sponsors)

1. I am a Sponsor. Will my license type remain the same?

No, once your license is transferred to TDLR, your license will change to a school license. The requirements and responsibilities will remain the same.

2. I need to order supplies and materials for my school where do I order these?

TDLR does not issue or sell materials. Schools must purchase their own materials such as paint, helmets, workbooks.

3. Will schools continue to use REMS?

Yes, until TDLR announces additional information.

Schools will continue to use Sponsor/School Zones to:

  • enter/edit/import the list of classes that they have conducted
  • void certificates
  • search for a class, an instructor, a student, voided certificates, list of courses, list of instructors
  • enter an Incident

After 9/1/2020 the DATA under Instructor Zones will no longer be updated.

Course Curriculum Approval

1. Can I create an ATV Course?

No, All ATV Courses are offered by the All-terrain Vehicle Safety Institute (ASI).

Help and Support

1. Who do I contact if I have questions about the transfer of my license?

Please contact our customer service department by email.

If you need immediate assistance, call us at (800) 803-9202.