Combative Sports is a full contact competition between two contestants. The primary sport in this program is boxing. Other sports regulated by this program are kick boxing, shoot wrestling / fighting, pancration wrestling / fighting, mixed martial arts contests or any form of competition in which a blow is struck which may reasonably be expected to inflict injury. Kick boxing is a form of boxing in which blows are delivered with any part of the arm below the shoulder, including the hand, and any part of the leg below the hip including the foot. Shoot wrestling / pancration wrestling is a form of full contact martial arts in which opponents may, while standing, strike with the open hand, kick, wrestle, throw grapple and submit.
For more information about combative sports, e-mail TDLR at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Military Service Members, Veterans, and Spouses - For more information about applying as a military spouse please go to the Military Spouse FAQs page.
TDLR is holding a Ringside Physician Combative Sports Medicine Symposium on Saturday, December 13, 2014. The seminar is from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., at TDLR's North Campus, located at 1106 Clayton Lane in Austin. To register for the seminar, please download the form, fill it out and mail, fax, email or hand-deliver the form to:
- Mail to: TDLR, PO Box 12157, Austin, TX 78711
- Hand deliver to: 920 Colorado, Austin, TX 78701
- Fax: (512) 475-2874
- Scan and Email to: email@example.com
At their meeting held July 9, 2014, the Texas Commission of Licensing and Regulation adopted the rule review of 16 Texas Administrative Code (TAC) Chapter 61, Combative Sports, effective August 1, 2014. The rule review adoption was published in the August 15, 2014, issue of the Texas Register (39 TexReg 6246). TDLR encourages all persons interested in the Combative Sports program to review the rule review adoption. View the rule review adoption
Policy Statement - Five-minute Rounds in Professional MMA EventsIndividuals from the combative sports industry attended the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation’s strategic planning Face-to-Face session in Houston on March 24, 2014. During the question and answer sessions, a discrepancy between the lengths of rounds in Texas for Professional MMA fights compared to other states was mentioned and recorded. TDLR’s legal staff conducted research and discovered this was in fact the case. The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation has determined a new policy is appropriate for Professional MMA events in Texas.
TDLR Combative Sports Policy Concerning Professional MMA Lengths of Rounds: Beginning on April 1, 2014, and going forward, all Professional MMA events may be 5-minute rounds in Texas unless the promoter of the event determines, for safety or other reasons, that rounds should be shortened to a minimum of 3-minutes in length.This policy aligns the state of Texas with other states concerning Professional MMA rounds. The change in policy should increase the number of events held around the state by encouraging more professional fighters to come to Texas. Most importantly, it has also been determined that the change in policy does not hinder the safety measures already in place to protect fighters at these events.
Effective immediately, all applications for combative sports contestants must use the current Professional Contestant Application, Form BOX001, dated September 2014. Older forms will no longer be accepted. You can make sure you are using the latest form by looking in the bottom left-hand corner of the form. It should read, "TDLR Form BOX001 Rev September 2014."
TDLR amended the Combative Sports administrative rules on November 21, 2013, to implement changes in the Combative Sports law created by Senate Bill 618, authored by Sen. John Carona and enacted in 2013 by the 83rd Texas Legislature. The amended Combative Sports rules take effect on January 1, 2014 and will:
- Eliminate the ringside physician license type, allowing TDLR to assign, by agreement, individuals with an unrestricted and unlimited Texas Medical Board license to combative sports events;
- Eliminate the timekeeper license type and establishment of an appointment process for timekeepers assigned to combative sports events;
- Establish a selection criteria and procedure for the assignment of individuals who agree to act as ringside physicians and timekeepers for combative sports events.
For more information about the TDLR Combative Sports program contact TDLR at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-803-9202. Also, you can sign up to receive TDLR Email Updates to be notified about any further changes to the Combative Sports Program.
Keep your address current with TDLR
TDLR is now accepting online payment for administrative penalties.
Combative Sports Safety Webinar - TDLR encourages anyone interested in the safety of combative sports participants to view this "Diagnosis and Management of Concussion in Boxing and Mixed Martial Arts Combatants" webinar.
All events are subject to change or cancellation.
- 12/06/14 Xtreme Combat Productions, Robstown
- 12/08/14 Leija/Battah Promotions, San Antonio
- 12/12/14 Leija/Battah Promotions, San Antonio
- 01/10/15 Jesse Rodriguez Promotions, Ft. Worth
- 01/17/15 League of Extraordinary Fighters Boxing Promotions, Beaumont
- 01/23/15 Saverese Promotions, Houston
- 01/26/15 Leija Battah Promotions, San Antonio
- 02/12/15 Jesse Rodriguez Promotions, Dallas
- 03/28/15 Tejanito Promotions, El Paso
Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
- 12/05/14 Invicta Fighting Championships, Houston
- 01/10/15 Fury Fighting Championship, San Antonio
- 01/10/15 Xtreme MMA, Corpus Christi (pro and amateur)
- 01/17/15 J and C Promotions, Brownsville
- 01/17/15 Back Alley, Arlington
- 01/30/15 Premiere Fight, Midland
- 02/13/15 Fury Fighting Championship, Humble
- 02/14/15 Genesis Combat Sports, Abilene
- 03/28/15 Genesis Combat Sports, Midland
Combination Events (Boxing and Mixed Martial Arts)
- 01/16/15 Triple A Promotions, Laredo
- 01/17/15 Saverese Promotions, Houston
Amateur Mixed Martial Arts
- 12/05/14 Savarese Amateur Association (SAA), Houston (Muay Thai)
- 12/06/14 CHASM Elite, Belton
- 12/06/14 Premiere Combat Group (PCG), San Antonio
- 12/21/14 Garcia Promotions, Humble
- 01/03/15 TACSPI, Dallas
- 01/10/15 Xtreme MMA, Corpus Christi (pro and amateur)
- 01/16/15 Legacy Promotions, Houston