Military Service Members, Veterans, and Spouses - For more information about applying as a military spouse please go to the Military Spouse FAQs page.
Combative Sports in Texas - Combative Sports is a full contact competition between two contestants. The primary sport in this program is boxing. Other sports regulated by this program are kick boxing, shoot wrestling / fighting, pancration wrestling / fighting, mixed martial arts contests or any form of competition in which a blow is struck which may reasonably be expected to inflict injury. Kick boxing is a form of boxing in which blows are delivered with any part of the arm below the shoulder, including the hand, and any part of the leg below the hip including the foot. Shoot wrestling / pancration wrestling is a form of full contact martial arts in which opponents may, while standing, strike with the open hand, kick, wrestle, throw grapple and submit. For more information about combative sports, e-mail TDLR at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation now offers online training for Contract Inspectors who are an essential part of the Texas Combative Sports Team. If you are interested in an opportunity to work as an inspector at a boxing or mixed martial arts event, the department encourages you to watch the videos in this YouTube playlist and then contact the combative sports program at Combative.Sports@tdlr.texas.gov .
If you are a medical doctor licensed by the State of Texas interested in participating in TDLR’s Combative Sports program or are currently a ringside physician and want a refresher, you can watch videos of our live seminar in this YouTube playlist.
Vacancies on the Medical Advisory Committee - TDLR announces three vacancies on the Medical Advisory Committee (Committee) established by Texas Occupations Code, Chapter 2052. The pertinent rules may be found in 16 TAC §61.120. The purpose of the Medical Advisory Committee is to advise the Texas Commission of Licensing and Regulation (Commission) on health issues for combative sports event contestants including physical tests for contestants and registration requirements for ringside physicians.
The Committee is composed of seven members appointed by the presiding officer of the Commission, with the Commission’s approval. The Committee consists of four members who shall be medical doctors licensed by the State of Texas; one emergency medical technician; and two public members. Members serve at the will of the Commission. This announcement is for a medical doctor licensed by the State of Texas, an emergency medical technician and a public member.
Interested persons should apply online at https://www.license.state.tx.us/AdvisoryBoard/login.aspx. Applicants can also request an application from the Department by telephone (800) 803-9202, fax (512) 475 2874 or e-mail email@example.com.
Applicants may be asked to appear for an interview; however any required travel for an interview would be at the applicant's expense.
Policy Statement - Five-minute Rounds in Professional MMA Events
Individuals from the combative sports industry attended the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation’s strategic planning Face-to-Face session in Houston on March 24, 2014. During the question and answer sessions, a discrepancy between the lengths of rounds in Texas for Professional MMA fights compared to other states was mentioned and recorded. TDLR’s legal staff conducted research and discovered this was in fact the case. The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation has determined a new policy is appropriate for Professional MMA events in Texas.
TDLR Combative Sports Policy Concerning Professional MMA Lengths of Rounds: Beginning on April 1, 2014, and going forward, all Professional MMA events may be 5-minute rounds in Texas unless the promoter of the event determines, for safety or other reasons, that rounds should be shortened to a minimum of 3-minutes in length.
This policy aligns the state of Texas with other states concerning Professional MMA rounds. The change in policy should increase the number of events held around the state by encouraging more professional fighters to come to Texas. Most importantly, it has also been determined that the change in policy does not hinder the safety measures already in place to protect fighters at these events.
Effective immediately, all applications for combative sports contestants must use the current Professional Contestant Application, Form BOX001, dated September 2014. Older forms will no longer be accepted. You can make sure you are using the latest form by looking in the bottom left-hand corner of the form. It should read, "TDLR Form BOX001 Rev September 2014."
For more information about the TDLR Combative Sports program contact TDLR at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-803-9202. Also, you can sign up to receive TDLR Email Updates to be notified about any further changes to the Combative Sports Program.
Combative Sports Safety Webinar - TDLR encourages anyone interested in the safety of combative sports participants to view this "Diagnosis and Management of Concussion in Boxing and Mixed Martial Arts Combatants" webinar.
All events are subject to change or cancellation.
- 05/30/15 Roy Jones Jr. Boxing, El Paso
- 06/05/15 Jesse Rodriguez Promotion, Ft. Worth
- 06/13/15 Iron Boy Promotions, El Paso
- 06/19/15 Mario Davila Media, Brownsville
- 06/20/15 G & M Boxing, Houston
- 06/26/15 Undercard Promotions, Dallas
- 06/26/15 Top Rank, Hidalgo
- 06/27/15 Wera Promotions, El Paso
- 06/27/15 Savarese Promotions, Texas City
- 07/03/15 Tejanito Promotions, El Paso
- 07/11/15 Golden Eagle Promotions, El Paso
- 07/25/15 Gutierrez Promotions, Robstown
- 07/25/15 Golden Eagle Promotions, El Paso
- 07/31/15 LOEF, Beaumont
- 08/08/15 Jesse Rodriguez Promotion, Waco
- 08/08/15 Boxing Wars, Mesquite
- 08/08/15 Triple A Promotions, San Antonio
- 08/15/15 Iron Boy, El Paso
- 08/15/15 Blue Chip Promotions, Humble
- 09/19/15 G & M Boxing, Houston
- 12/12/15 G & M Boxing, Houston
Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
- 05/22/15 Fury Fighting, Humble
- 05/29/15 Kick Ass Productions, Laredo
- 06/06/15 JC Fight Promotions, Brownsville
- 06/12/15 STFC, McAllen
- 06/13/15 Texas Premier Fight Promotions, Midland
- 06/27/15 Back Alley Promotions, Dallas
- 07/11/15 Fury Fighting Championship, Humble
- 07/18/15 Xtreme Combat Productions, Round Rock
- 07/24/15 Legacy Promotions, Houston
- 08/15/15 STFC, Edinburg
- 08/28/15 Legacy Promotions, Houston
- 09/05/15 Xtreme Combat Productions, Corpus Christi
- 09/05/15 Fury Fighting Championship, Humble
- 11/13/15 Legacy Promotions, Houston
Combination Events (Boxing and Mixed Martial Arts)
- 08/14/15 Triple A Promotions, Laredo
- 08/15/15 Back Alley Promotions, Dallas
Amateur Mixed Martial Arts
- 05/22/15 Garcia Promotions, Humble
- 05/23/15 National Amputee Boxing Association (NABA), San Antonio
- 06/05/15 Garcia Promotions, Humble
- 06/06/15 Premiere Combat Group (PCG), San Antonio
- 06/13/15 Texas Premier Fight Promotions (TPFP), Midland
- 06/20/15 Belts of Honorious, Austin
- 10/02/15 Legacy Promotions, Dallas