Combative Sports is a full contact competition between two contestants. The primary sport in this program is boxing. Other sports regulated by this program are kick boxing, shoot wrestling / fighting, pancration wrestling / fighting, mixed martial arts contests or any form of competition in which a blow is struck which may reasonably be expected to inflict injury. Kick boxing is a form of boxing in which blows are delivered with any part of the arm below the shoulder, including the hand, and any part of the leg below the hip including the foot. Shoot wrestling / pancration wrestling is a form of full contact martial arts in which opponents may, while standing, strike with the open hand, kick, wrestle, throw grapple and submit.
For more information about combative sports, e-mail TDLR at email@example.com.
Effective immediately, all applications for combative sports contestants must use the current Professional Contestant Application, Form 001BOX, dated August 2012. Older forms will no longer be accepted. You can make sure you are using the latest form by looking in the bottom left-hand corner of the form. It should read, "TDLR Form BOX001 Revised 08-2012."
The Medical Advisory Committee met March 7 in Austin. The agenda is online. View the staff reports. The meeting was archived and is available for viewing via RealPlayer.
TDLR amended the Combative Sports administrative rules on November 21, 2013, to implement changes in the Combative Sports law created by Senate Bill 618, authored by Sen. John Carona and enacted in 2013 by the 83rd Texas Legislature. The amended Combative Sports rules take effect on January 1, 2014 and will:
- Eliminate the ringside physician license type, allowing TDLR to assign, by agreement, individuals with an unrestricted and unlimited Texas Medical Board license to combative sports events;
- Eliminate the timekeeper license type and establishment of an appointment process for timekeepers assigned to combative sports events;
- Establish a selection criteria and procedure for the assignment of individuals who agree to act as ringside physicians and timekeepers for combative sports events.
For more information about the TDLR Combative Sports program contact TDLR at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-803-9202. Also, you can sign up to receive TDLR Email Updates to be notified about any further changes to the Combative Sports Program.
Keep your address current with TDLR
TDLR is now accepting online payment for administrative penalties.
Combative Sports Safety Webinar - TDLR encourages anyone interested in the safety of combative sports participants to view this "Diagnosis and Management of Concussion in Boxing and Mixed Martial Arts Combatants" webinar.
Click on each link below for information on upcoming combative sports events. Links to other sites are intended to be informational and do not have the endorsement of the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation. The Department is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of linked websites. These sites may also not be accessible to persons with disabilities.
All events are subject to change or cancellation.
- 03/22/14 Paulie Ayala, Ft. Worth
- 03/28/14 Pope Promotions, Galveston
- 03/28/14 Nord Boxing Promotions, Hidalgo
- 04/05/14 Escalante Promotions, El Paso
- 04/05/14 Solid Knockout Promotions, Pharr
- 04/12/14 Black Gloves Promotions, Dallas
- 04/17/14 Golden Boy Promotions and Leija Battah Promotions, San Antonio
- 04/18/14 Golden Boy Promotions and Leija Battah Promotions, San Antonio
- 04/24/14 Real Estate Council Foundation, Dallas
- 04/26/14 Standing 8 Promotions, Ft. Worth
- 05/02/14 Rocktagon MMA, El Paso
- 05/12/14 Golden Boy Promotions and Leija Battah Promotions, San Antonio
- 05/17/14 Scratch Hard Promotions, San Antonio
- 05/30/14 Mario Davila Media, Brownsville
- 06/07/14 Standing 8 Promotions, Ft. Worth
- 06/14/14 Black Gloves Promotions, Dallas
- 06/23/14 Golden Boy Promotions and Leija Battah Promotions, San Antonio
- 07/12/14 Standing 8 Promotions, Ft. Worth
- 07/26/14 Golden Boy Promotions and Leija Battah Promotions, San Antonio
- 08/18/14 Golden Boy Promotions and Leija Battah Promotions, San Antonio
- 09/06/14 Standing 8 Promotions, Ft. Worth
- 10/25/14 Standing 8 Promotions, Ft. Worth
- 11/22/14 Golden Boy Promotions and Leija Battah Promotions, San Antonio
Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
- 03/15/14 UFC, Dallas
- 03/29/14 Legacy Promotions, Houston
- 03/29/14 Rocktagon, El Paso
- 04/19/14 Premier Fight Association, Snyder
- 04/19/14 King Promotions, Galveston
- 04/25/14 Rocktagon MAA, El Paso
- 04/26/14 IFC, Amarillo
- 05/10/14 Back Alley Promotions, Dallas
- 05/16/14 STFC, McAllen
- 05/16/14 Legacy Promotions, Arlington
- 06/20/14 Legacy Promotions, Houston
- 10/17/14 Legacy Promotions, Dallas
- 11/14/14 Legacy Promotions, San Antonio
- 12/12/14 Legacy Promotions, Houston
Combination Events (Boxing and Mixed Martial Arts)
- 03/08/14 Jesse Rodriguez, Ft. Worth
- 03/14/14 Savarese Promotions, Texas City
- 03/21/14 ICON Productions, Austin
- 03/22/14 Solid Knockout Promotions, Kingsville
- 04/05/14 Jesse Rodriguez Promotion, Ft. Worth
- 04/10/14 Savarese Promotions, Houston
Amateur Mixed Martial Arts
- 03/08/14 Ignite Fighting Championship, Amarillo
- 03/22/14 Xtreme Combat Amateur Association, Corpus Christi
- 03/22/14 Savarese Amateur Association, Houston
- 03/29/14 Premiere Combat Group (PCG), San Antonio
- 04/05/14 Icon Amateur Sports Association, Austin
- 04/12/14 Defiant Fighting Championship, San Antonio
- 04/12/14 Songahm Martial Arts, Longview
- 04/18/14 Enlightened Warriors, Austin
- (no events scheduled)