Dog and Cat Breeding Is Regulated in Texas
Who Needs to Be Licensed in Texas?
- has 11 or more intact female animals (dogs or cats) and is breeding them for sale; and
- sells, exchanges, or offers to sell or exchange 20 or more animals in one calendar year.
The law provides exemptions for certain types of dog breeding, including dogs bred for herding livestock, hunting, or competing in field trials. To learn more about these exemptions, see the Licensed Breeders law.
- Report unlicensed activity or a license violation
- Search licensed breeders
- Apply to become a licensed breeder
- Training and enforcement donations
- Licensed breeder program homepage