Texas Licensed Barber Schools
Any person who maintains an establishment, in which any practice of Barbering is taught, must hold a barber school permit. A person may not operate a barber school until TDLR determines, by inspection, that the school is in compliance with Chapter 1601.
To obtain a permit, an application for a barber school permit must be filed with TDLR. In addition, the applicant must meet all requirements for a barber school.
NOTE: Schools may not enroll students prior to final approval.
You may look up barber schools on our licensing database.
For a change of location, email the Education and Examination Division.
The following requirements must be submitted prior to issuing a permit. When submitting these requirements, please advise TDLR when your school will be ready for inspection.
- Submit a Texas Barber School Permit application (71KB download), along with the fee of $500.00. This fee includes the $200 inspection fee.
- Private Barber School Permit Ownership Information Page (private post-secondary only)
- Required Facilities and Equipment Checklist
- Provide a detailed drawing of the proposed physical layout of the school, showing the classroom and practical areas. The building must also have a hard-surface floor covering of tile or other suitable material and must also include access to permanent restrooms, adequate drinking fountains and adequate lighting for each room.
- Municipalities with a population of more than 50,000 the building must have a minimum of 2,000 square feet of floor space.
- Municipalities with a population of 50,000 or less or in an unincorporated area of a county, the building must have a minimum of 1,000 square feet of floor space.
- The barber school curriculum approval application along with a detailed copy of the training program for each course being offered. See #10 of the barber school permit application instructions.
- Proof of financial responsibility. (Not applicable for public or public post-secondary schools)
Applicant must meet all requirements of the Texas Occupational Code 1601, Subchapter H. Permitting of Barber Schools.
Barber School Curriculum Approval
To offer a new curriculum, please complete the Texas Barber School Curriculum Approval Application (243KB download) and submit to the department with the required documentation.