Responsible Pet Owner Code of Criminal Procedure
CODE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
TITLE 1. CODE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
CHAPTER 42A. COMMUNITY SUPERVISION
(Effective September 1, 2019)
You can download the entire Pet Owner Law document (PDF), suitable for printing. Acrobat Reader is necessary to view.pdf files. If you need to obtain a copy of this program it is available as a free download for Windows or Macintosh operating systems.
SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS
Art. 42A.511. COMMUNITY SUPERVISION FOR CERTAIN OFFENSES INVOLVING ANIMALS.
(a) If a judge grants community supervision to a defendant convicted of an offense under Section 42.09, 42.091, 42.092, or 42.10, Penal Code, the judge may require the defendant to:
(1) complete an online responsible pet owner course approved and certified by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation; or
(2) attend a responsible pet owner course sponsored by a municipal animal shelter, as defined by Section 823.001, Health and Safety Code, that:
(A) receives federal, state, county, or municipal funds; and
(B) serves the county in which the court is located.
(b) For purposes of the online responsible pet owner course described by Subsection (a)(1), the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation or the Texas Commission of Licensing and Regulation, as appropriate:
(1) is responsible for the approval, certification, and administration of the course and course providers;
(2) may charge fees for:
(A) initial and renewal course certifications;
(B) initial and renewal course provider certifications;
(C) course participant completion certificates; and
(D) other fees necessary for the administration of the course and course providers;
(3) shall adopt rules regarding the administration of the course and course providers, including rules regarding:
(A) the criteria for course approval and certification;
(B) the criteria for course provider approval and certification;
(C) curriculum development;
(D) course length and content;
(E) criteria for a participant to complete the course; and
(F) a course completion certificate that is acceptable to a court;
(4) is authorized to monitor and audit the provision of the course by the course providers; and
(5) may take enforcement actions as appropriate to enforce this subsection.
(c) If a judge grants community supervision to a defendant convicted of an offense under Section 21.09, Penal Code, the judge may:
(1) require the defendant to relinquish custody of any animals in the defendant's possession;
(2) prohibit the defendant from possessing or exercising control over any animals or residing in a household where animals are present; or
(3) require the defendant to participate in a psychological counseling or other appropriate treatment program for a period to be determined by the court.
Added by Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 770 (H.B. 2299), Sec. 1.01, eff. January 1, 2017.
Amended by Acts 2017, 85th Leg., R.S., Ch. 739 (S.B. 1232), Sec. 4, eff. September 1, 2017.
Amended by Acts 2017, 85th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1132 (H.B. 162), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2017.Amended by Acts 2019, 86th Leg., R.S., Ch. 467 (H.B. 4170), Sec. 21.001(4), eff. September 1, 2019.