Parent Taught Driver Education (PTDE) Program
To participate in the PTDE program, you must complete these steps:
Step 1. Determine if you are eligible. You must complete this step before step 2.
Step 2. Purchase a Parent Taught Driver Education Program Guide. The guide costs $20. After you purchase the guide, you will receive an email with a link to download the guide. Check your spam and junk folders if you do not see the email in your inbox.
Step 3. Download and read the Parent Taught Driver Education Program Guide you purchased. If you do not have the email with the download link, you can download the guide using the instructor’s email address or the receipt number and zip code you entered when you placed your order.
Things You Need to Know
- You must purchase the PTDE Program Guide from TDLR ($20) and a PTDE course from a course provider (course providers charge their own additional fee; contact the course providers or visit their websites for their current fees).
- Enter the student’s legal name carefully onto the PTDE Program Guide order form. Correcting the student name later requires a written request.
- TDLR does not approve or deny parent instructors based on their driving record, only DPS can do this. Please review the instructor requirements for more information.
- When you go to DPS:
- For your Learner Permit, bring the receipt from your PTDE Program Guide.
- For your Provisional License, bring the receipt from your PTDE Program Guide and the 30-hour driving log.
- If DPS says you need another form (for example, forms DL-90A, DL-90B, or DL-91A), please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the full name of your child, the DPS location and the issue you are having. These forms have been phased out. Please note: TDLR cannot resolve issues with your local DPS office.
This is not a comprehensive list. Please review the PTDE Program Requirements to be sure you are eligible to participate in the PTDE program.