On this page:
A current licensee may apply for inactive status, temporarily suspending the need to maintain their license. As per the Behavior Analyst Certification Board, a certificant may only be in an inactive state for a maximum of 4 years at a time. After 4 years, the board requires one full recertification cycle before inactive status may be requested again.
Applying for Inactive Status
To change a license to inactive status, you must submit a completed Change in License Status Application Form (PDF). There is no fee required to apply for inactive status.
The Behavior Analyst Certification Board has separate requirements for requesting inactive status that must be followed in addition to the state of Texas requirements. These requirements include completing a separate application form and payment of a one-time fee.
- Behavior Analyst Certification Board - BCBA Application for Voluntary Inactive Status (PDF)
- Behavior Analyst Certification Board - BCaBA Application for Voluntary Inactive Status (PDF)
Prohibited Activities While Inactive
While your license is on inactive status, you may not:
- Practice applied behavior analysis
- Engage in any activity for which a license is required
- Participate in a supervision relationship with another license holder or unlicensed person unless an active license is not required for the license holder’s activity, or
- Engage in any activity for which the person is required to be actively licensed for the interests of another person also engaged in that activity with the license holder
Re-Activation of License
When you are ready to re-activate your license, you will need to first seek re-activation of your certification with the Behavior Analyst Certification Board.
Behavior Analyst Certification Board - Return from Voluntary Inactive Status Application (PDF)
Once your board certification has been re-activated, you may apply for re-activation of your state license.
- Submit a completed Change in License Status Application Form (PDF)
- Include the $25 fee with the application form
- Successfully pass a criminal history background check
Important: When your license re-activation is reviewed by TDLR, your board certification must show as re-activated, or your license application will be denied.
Renewal of Inactive License
An inactive license may be renewed, provided that your certification is in good standing with the Behavior Analyst Certification Board, and that the inactive period does not exceed the 4 year limit established by the Board.
To renew an inactive license, please submit the appropriate renewal application form along with the fee.
|License Type||Online Application||Fee|
|Behavior Analyst||Renew Online||$165|
|Assistant Behavior Analyst||Renew Online||$110|
Please see the Behavior Analyst Certification Board website for details on policies regarding renewal of inactive certifications.
Important: If your certification with the Behavior Analyst Certification Board is on inactive status, you may only renew a Texas license that is also on inactive status. You may not renew an active Texas license with an inactive board certification.