Transfer a License From Another State

If you are a military servicemember, veteran or spouse who currently holds a license in another state, you may be able to transfer your license to Texas.

Pre-Approved License Transfers

Texas currently has agreements with other states for the following licenses:

Request an Individual Evaluation of Your Credentials

If your license does not fall into one of the above categories, TDLR will review your qualifications on an individual basis to evaluate whether you meet the requirements for a Texas license.

How to Request an Individual Evaluation

To request an evaluation of your credentials:

  1. Understand the License Requirements

    Choose a license type from the list below to learn more about the Texas requirements:

    After making a selection, a webpage will open in a new window.

    If you believe that you may meet the license requirements, please proceed to the next steps below.
  2. Download and complete a paper license application.

    After making a selection, a webpage will open in a new window.
  3. Do not include a fee with your application.
    If you are approved for the license application, TDLR will send you a notice requesting payment.
  4. Be sure to include any supporting documents required for the license.
    This may include academic transcripts, documented work history, insurance coverage, or other items. Be sure to read the license application form carefully.
  5. If you have ever been convicted of a crime (other than a minor traffic violation):
    You must provide a completed Criminal History Questionnaire (PDF) along with your application materials. This includes any felony or misdemeanor or plea of guilty or no contest (resulting in a deferred adjudication) to any in-state, out-of-state or federal criminal offense.
  6. Download and complete a Military Supplemental Application Form
    When you complete the Military Supplemental Application Form (PDF), be sure to check the box next to item 10 to indicate that you have a current license from another state, country, or US territory that has licensing requirements that are substantially equivalent to the Texas requirements.
  7. Include documentation of the service member or veteran's military status.
    This could include a DD-214, NGB-22, or military orders with the service member’s name. Do not send originals. Documents will not be returned.
  8. Military spouses must also include proof of marital status.
    Acceptable documents include a dependent ID card (DD-1173) or a copy of your marriage license.
  9. Include a copy of your current occupational license from another state or jurisdiction.
    Your license should be current and in good standing.
  10. Send all materials and required documents listed above to:
    Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation
    P.O. Box 12157
    Austin, TX 78711-2157

Additional Training and Education

Depending on the outcome of your evaluation, TDLR may determine that you need to seek additional training or education to meet the requirements of the license type.


You may be required to successfully complete any exams that are part of the license requirements.

Need Assistance?

If you have questions about the licensing process, or if you want to check on the status of your application, please contact customer service.

Phone Numbers:
(800) 803-9202 [in state only]
(512) 463-6599

Our business hours are 7:00 am – 6:00 pm, Monday through Friday, excluding state and federal holidays.