Used Automotive Parts Recyclers
Military Service Members, Veterans, and Spouses - For more information about obtaining a TDLR license or renewing a TDLR license that expired while serving on active duty, please go to the Military Outreach home page.
Texas Used Automotive Parts Recyclers - If you operate a Used Automotive Parts Recycling Business in Texas, you must have a license issued by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR). Depending on the type of business you operate, you may also need a license from the new Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV).
Previously, when licensed by the TxDMV, you could choose from one or a combination of the following six salvage vehicle dealer license types: New Automobile Dealer; Salvage Pool Operator; Used Automobile Dealer; Salvage Vehicle Broker; Used Vehicle Parts Dealer; or Salvage Vehicle Rebuilders. The Used Vehicle Parts Dealer licensing was transferred to TDLR. The name was changed to Used Automotive Parts Recycler.
The remaining five license types continue to be regulated by TxDMV and did not transfer to TDLR. Depending on your type of business, you may now need licenses from both TDLR and TxDMV.
Questions? Email TDLR at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-803-9202
Notice of Vacancies on Used Automotive Parts Recycling Advisory Board
The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (Department) announces two vacancies on the Used Automotive Parts Recycling Advisory Board (Board) established by Texas Occupations Code, Chapter 2309. The purpose of the Used Automotive Parts Recycling Advisory Board is to provide advice and recommendations to the Texas Commission of Licensing and Regulation (Commission) and the Department on technical matters relevant to the administration and enforcement of Chapter 2309, including licensing standards.
This announcement is for:
(1) a member who represents a used automotive parts business owned by a foreign entity;
(2) and one member who represents used automotive parts businesses owned by a domestic entity.
The Board is composed of five members appointed by the presiding officer of the Commission, with the Commission’s approval. The advisory board consists of the following members:
(1) four members who represent used automotive parts businesses owned by domestic entities, as defined by Section 1.002, Business Organizations Code,
(2) one member who represents a used automotive parts business owned by a foreign entity, as defined by Section 1.002, Business Organizations Code;
(3) and may not include more than one member from any one used automotive parts business entity.
Members serve terms of six years, with the terms of one or two members expiring on February 1 of each odd-numbered year.
Interested persons should submit an application on the Department website. Applicants can also request an application from the Department by telephone (800) 803-9202 or by e-mail from email@example.com .
There are two license types in the Used Automotive Parts Recyclers program:
1. USED AUTOMOTIVE PARTS RECYCLING BUSINESS LICENSE
To be eligible for a Used Automotive Parts Recycling Business License, an applicant must:
- submit a completed TDLR Used Automotive Parts Recycling Business Application;
- provide a valid federal tax ID number (sole proprietors may use a Social Security number);
- maintain a general liability insurance policy in an amount not less than $250,000 and attach a certificate of insurance to your application;
- provide proof of a storm water permit (see below);
- pass a criminal background check (for all principals of the company); and
- pay a fee of $75.
Storm Water Permit: If you’ve applied for a storm water permit, but have not yet received it, you may still apply for this license. Information about how to get your storm water permit is available from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality at (512) 239-1000, or online at www.tceq.state.tx.us/nav/permits/sw_permits.html.
2. USED AUTOMOTIVE PARTS RECYCLING EMPLOYEE LICENSE
If you work at a Used Automotive Parts Recycling Business in Texas, you may need a Used Automotive Parts Recycler Employee License. Licenses are required for employees who acquire a vehicle or used automotive parts and sell used automotive parts.
To be eligible for this license, an applicant must:
- submit a completed TDLR Used Automotive Parts Recycler Employee Application;
- be 18 years of age;
- pass a criminal background check; and
- pay the required fee of $25
FOR MORE INFORMATION - Send an email to automotive.parts.recyclers @tdlr.texas.gov or call (800) 803-9202 or (512) 463-6599.