Satisfying Continuing Education Requirements for Property Tax Consultants
Property Tax Consultants with registrations that expire on or after May 1, 2021, must complete 24 hours of continuing education in courses approved or recognized by TDLR. The continuing education hours must include the following:
- eight hours of instruction in Texas state law and rules that regulate the conduct of registrants;
- four hours of instruction in ethics;
- six hours of instruction in appraisal; and
- six hours of instruction in property tax consulting.
TDLR will recognize and accept an educational program or course related to property tax consulting services that is offered or sponsored by a public provider or a recognized private provider, including:
- the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts;
- the State Bar of Texas;
- the Texas Real Estate Commission;
- an institution of higher education that meets program and accreditation standards comparable to those for public institutions of higher education as determined by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board; or
- a nonprofit and voluntary trade association, institute, or organization whose membership consists primarily of persons who represent property owners in property tax or transactional tax matters; that has written experience and examination requirements for membership or for granting professional designation to its members; and that subscribes to a code of professional conduct or ethics.
If a Property Tax Consultant also holds an active Texas real estate broker license or real estate sales license under Chapter 1101, or has an active real estate appraiser license or certificate licensed under Chapter 1103, TDLR will recognize and accept continuing education courses, including courses on legal issues and law related to property tax consulting services, that are approved by the Texas Real Estate Commission or the Texas Appraiser Licensing and Certification Board.
Email Updates - You may wish to sign up for the various occupation and continuing education provider email updates.
Request for Information - contact the Education and Examination division
Voice: (512) 463-6599 or toll free at (800) 803-9202
Fax: (512) 463-1512