Dietitians Continuing Education
On this page:
License Renewal Requirements
To renew a dietitian license, you must complete a minimum of 12 hours of continuing education during each 2 year licensing period, including successful completion of the Texas jurisprudence examination.
Your license will not be renewed until all continuing education requirements have been completed.
Approved Education Providers
Acceptable coursework for continuing education must be approved or offered by one of the following:
Continuing education activities will be acceptable, if the experience falls into one or more of the following categories:
- Academic or clinical courses related to dietetics
- In-service educational programs, training programs, institutes, seminars, workshops and conferences in dietetics
- Instructing or presenting continuing education programs or activities that were offered or approved by the Commission on Dietetic Registration or its agents -- multiple presentations of the same programs will count only once
- Acceptance and participation in poster sessions offered by a nationally recognized professional organization in the dietetics field or its state equivalent organization
- Publishing of books or articles by the licensee in relevant professional books and referred journals
- Self-study of professional materials that include self-assessment examinations
The department will not grant continuing education credit for the following activities:
- Education incidental to the regular professional activities of a licensee such as learning occurring from experience or research
- Professional organization activity such as serving on committees or councils or as an officer
- Activities described under the acceptable activities section (above), which have been completed more than once during the continuing education period
- Performance of duties that are routine job duties or requirements
- Participation in conference exhibits
Credits for Continuing Education Experiences
Continuing education experiences will be credited by the department as follows:
|Experience Type||Credit Hours|
|Academic courses||2 continuing education hours for each semester hour successfully completed for credit or audit|
|Conferences||1-for-1 basis with continuing professional experience as approved by The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics|
|Clinical courses||1-for-1 basis with continuing professional experience as approved by The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics|
|In-service educational programs||1-for-1 basis with continuing professional experience as approved by The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics|
|Jurisprudence examination||1 hour of continuing education credit each renewal cycle|
|Poster session participation||1 continuing education hour for 6 poster sessions, with a maximum of 2 continuing education hours for 12 poster sessions|
|Publishing of books or articles||3 continuing education hours (minimum) for each publication|
|Self-study of professional materials||6 continuing education hours maximum|
You are responsible for keeping a record of all acceptable continuing education activities completed, and providing it to TDLR if selected for audit. Licensees are required to keep a copy of the continuing education certificate for two years after the date of course completion.
The Department will randomly select a sample of license renewals for audit each month. If selected for an audit, you will be notified when you receive your renewal notice. You will then be required to submit copies of certificates, transcripts or other documentation to verify your attendance, participation and completion of continuing education requirements.