New Technology Variance 09-01, ISIS-I Elevator Conversion
January 26, 2010
Mr. Barry Stewart, President Southwest Region
ThyssenKrupp Elevator Corporation
2801 Network Blvd, Suite 700
Frisco, TX 75034
Re: ISIS-I Product Conversions NTV-09-01
Dear Mr. Stewart:
This is to acknowledge that your organization has been granted a New Technology Variance 09-01 to convert all existing ISIS-I product in the State of Texas effective upon execution of this document by ThyssenKrupp Elevator Corporation. Your request to complete these conversions based on NTV 09-01 is approved contingent on the following conditions:
1. All suspension rope sheaves shall be steel.
2. All suspension means shall be 5 mm or larger steel wire rope.
3. Rope monitors shall be operational on all such conversions and shall be maintained to remain fully functional.
4. The conversions shall be classified as alterations and all such alterations shall be inspected and approved by a licensed elevator inspector before being returned to public use pursuant to the Act and the Rules.
5. The required inspections include but are not necessarily limited to:
a. 125% load traction test
b. Speed test with and without rated load in both directions
c. Emergency stop test in the down direction with rated load.
d. Emergency stop test in the up direction with no load.
e. A test of the ascending car and unintended movement means in both directions and.
f. A test of the rope monitor function
6. Your organization shall provide the inspectors performing tests as specified in condition #5 above, copies of the manufacturer's written procedures for performing these tests.
7. Your organization shall notify the Department of any factors that affect the viability of the conversion and any conversion related equipment failures or incidents that occur on any conversion for 365 days after completion of the last ISIS-I product conversion.
8. The Department reserves the right to revoke this variance.
9. This approval does not extend to include the ISIS-II product.
10. Until such time as all of the ISIS-I Product is fully converted, a report shall be provided to the Department on a quarterly basis within 10 calendar days of the end of each quarter, beginning with the quarter ending March 31, 2010, indicating the ISIS-I product that has had their conversions completed. The report shall contain, at a minimum, the street address; manufacturer's identifying number and ELBI and decal number. When the conversion of all ISIS-I product in Texas is completed, a final report so stating that all such units are completed shall be provided to the Department. No reports shall be required after that time other than as provided in item #7 above.
This conversion approval shall apply to all ISIS-I product equipment installed anywhere in the State of Texas, except the City of Houston. The City of Houston must also review this conversion product for use within their jurisdiction and any approval must be requested directly from the City of Houston.
The approval by the Department shall remain in effect unless revoked. A copy of this approval will be forwarded to all licensed inspectors and will be posted on the Department website.
If you agree with the conditions contained in this approval letter, please so indicate by signing and dating a copy of this letter and returning it to me for our files. If we can be of any further assistance in this matter, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Chief Elevator Inspector
Building and Mechanical Section