New Technology Variance NTV 12-01 Polyurethane Buffers
June 5, 2012
Otis Elevator Company
5 Farm Springs Road
Farmington, CT 06032
RE: Application for New Technology Variance NTV 12-01 Polyurethane Buffers
Dear Mr. Blackaby:
This is to acknowledge receipt of your above referenced application dated February 20, 2012. Based on the written information previously submitted by your organization and after consultation and review within the Department, the Department is pleased to inform you that your request for New Technology Variances to permit the use of polyurethane buffers has been approved contingent on the following conditions:
- This approval is based on written information submitted provided by your organization during the course of the application/review process. Any deviation from the product as submitted for approval that would violate any provision of the current or any future adopted standard would require another New Technology Variance application and approval by the Department. Changes that do not result in a violation of any current or future adopted standard, or product changes that to not vary from those contained in the written materials submitted by your organization as part of the review process, will not require another New Technology Variance application but will require notice in writing to the Department documenting said changes. The approval of this application is not to be construed that the Department has determined these devices to be equal or superior to spring buffers.
- The requirements for which this New Technology Variance are based on the ASME A17.1-2007 edition of the Safety Code for Elevators which is the currently adopted standard. The approvals are granted for:
- Requirement 126.96.36.199 Type of Buffers
- Requirement 2.22.3 Spring Buffers
- The maximum load imposed on polyurethane buffers shall not exceed 5732 pounds per buffer and the minimum rated load shall be not less than 1543 pounds per buffer and shall be indicated on the layout drawings as specified in 2.28.1(f).
- The maximum car speed shall not exceed 200 feet per minute.
- The stroke of the buffer shall conform with ASME A17.1-2007 requirement 188.8.131.52 and a marking plate conforming to 184.108.40.206 shall be provided as well as the marking requirements noted in Section 7 of Certificate NA 11-0842-1004-008-01
- This equipment shall not be installed in any environment where:
- the relative humidity exceeds 75% at room temperature of 77 degrees F;
- exposed to the conditions outside the temperature range of 41 degrees F to 140 degrees F;
- exposed to the influence of chemical substances (acids, alkaline solutions, cleaning agents);
- exposed to the influence of water;
- under a continuous load or lateral load;
- exposed to insects and pests; or
- exposed to oil or grease.
- The user manual mentioned in Section 5 of Certificate NA 11-0842-1004-008-01 shall be on site with the equipment and shall be made a part of the Maintenance Control Program.
- All installation contracts for polyurethane buffers shall contain a clause that informs buyers that this product has been approved under the New Technology provisions of Chapter 754. As an alternative, you may provide buyers with a copy of this approval letter in lieu of a clause in the sales contract.
- A copy of this approval letter shall be maintained in the Maintenance Control Program for the life of the equipment or until such time as the equipment meets all adopted standards in the State of Texas.
This approval shall apply to all Otis installations, consistent with the contingencies listed above, installed anywhere in the State of Texas, except the City of Houston. The City of Houston must also approve this product for installation within their jurisdiction after approval by the Department.
The approval by the Department shall remain in effect unless revoked. A copy of this approval will be forwarded to all licensed inspectors and will be posted on the Department website. Inspectors shall be informed that the requirements covered by the above variances are not to be cited on any inspection reports. No waivers or delays will be required.
If you agree with the conditions contained in this approval letter, please so indicate by signing and dating a copy of this letter and returning it to us for our files. If we can be of any further assistance in this matter, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Chief Elevator Inspector
Building and Mechanical Section