New Technology Variance NTV 12-03 Reduced Length Car Platform Guards
June 5, 2012
Otis Elevator Company
5 Farm Springs Road
Farmington, CT 06032
RE: Application for New Technology Variance NTV 12-03 Reduced Length Car Platform Guards
Dear Mr. Blackaby:
This is to acknowledge receipt of your above referenced application dated February 20, 2012. Based on the written information previously submitted by your organization and after consultation and review within the Department, the Department is pleased to inform you that your request for New Technology Variances to permit the use of reduced length car platform guards has been approved contingent on the following conditions:
- This approval is based on written information submitted provided by your organization during the course of the application/review process. Any deviation from the product as submitted for approval that would violate any provision of the current or any future adopted standard would require another New Technology Variance application and approval by the Department. Changes that do not result in a violation of any current or future adopted standard, or product changes that to not vary from those contained in the written materials submitted by your organization as part of the review process, will not require another New Technology Variance application but will require notice in writing to the Department documenting said changes. The approval of this application is not to be construed that the Department has determined these devices to be equal or superior to full length (48 inch) car platform guards.
- The requirements for which this New Technology Variance are based on the ASME A17.1-2007 edition of the Safety Code for Elevators which is the currently adopted standard. The approvals are granted for:
- Requirement 18.104.22.168 Length of Car Platform Guard
- Requirement 22.214.171.124 Protection Against Unintended Car Movement
- The use of a 36 inch car platform guard shall only be permitted in an existing hoistway that is not sufficiently deep to accommodate a 48 inch car platform guard as specified in 126.96.36.199. New installations in newly constructed hoistways shall comply with 188.8.131.52.
- The 36 inch car platform guard shall be permitted to be used in any existing hoistway as noted in #3 above where the elevator control system is designed and installed so as to detect and stop the unintended movement of the car within the length of the guard. Compliance with this requirement shall be demonstrated during the acceptance tests and during the periodic tests.
- Where the existing pit depth is not sufficient to permit the use of a 36 inch car platform guard, a car platform guard less than 36 inches shall be permitted contingent on the car platform guard being as long as physically possible without touching the pit floor when the car is resting on its fully compressed buffer and where the elevator control system is designed and installed so as to detect and stop the unintended movement of the car within the length of the guard provided. Compliance with this requirement shall be demonstrated during the acceptance tests and during the periodic tests.
- All installation contracts for the use of car platform guards less than 48 inches in length shall contain a clause that informs buyers that this product has been approved under the New Technology provisions of Chapter 754. As an alternative, you may provide buyers with a copy of this approval letter in lieu of a clause in the sales contract.
- A copy of this approval letter shall be maintained in the Maintenance Control Program for the life of the equipment or until such time as the equipment meets all of the adopted standards in the State of Texas.
This approval shall apply to all Otis installations, consistent with the contingencies listed above, installed anywhere in the State of Texas, except the City of Houston. The City of Houston must also approve this product for installation within their jurisdiction after approval by the Department.
The approval by the Department shall remain in effect unless revoked. A copy of this approval will be forwarded to all licensed inspectors and will be posted on the Department website. Inspectors shall be informed that the requirements covered by the above variances are not to be cited on any inspection reports. No waivers or delays will be required.
If you agree with the conditions contained in this approval letter, please so indicate by signing and dating a copy of this letter and returning it to us for our files. If we can be of any further assistance in this matter, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Chief Elevator Inspector
Building and Mechanical Section