Site Navigation

Out of State Applicants

You cannot "transfer" a license from another state to Texas. All out-of-state applicants must apply for a Texas license before practicing in the state.

Uniquely Qualified Person

If you have been practicing orthotics and/or prosthetics for at least 15 years, or if you have an assistant license but have not completed a professional clinical residency, you may be eligible for licensure as a uniquely qualified person.

Each applicant for licensure under this method will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Temporary Licenses

If you have practiced orthotics or prosthetics for at least the past 5 years, and you have been licensed in another state, you may be eligible to receive a temporary practitioner license, which allows you to practice in Texas while your license application is still pending review by the department.

Please see the apply for a temporary license page for further details.

International Applicants

TDLR will accept as proof of completion of a degree or course work an official transcript from a regionally accredited college or university. Foreign transcripts must be submitted with an evaluation from World Education Services (WES), or another provider approved by TDLR, that demonstrates equivalency of the foreign degree or coursework with a U.S. degree or coursework.