Military Service Members, Veterans, and Spouses - For more information about obtaining a TDLR license or renewing a TDLR license that expired while serving on active duty, please go to the Military Outreach home page.
Combative Sports is a full contact competition between two contestants. The primary sport in this program is boxing. Other sports regulated by this program are kick boxing, shoot wrestling / fighting, pancration wrestling / fighting, mixed martial arts contests or any form of competition in which a blow is struck which may reasonably be expected to inflict injury. Kick boxing is a form of boxing in which blows are delivered with any part of the arm below the shoulder, including the hand, and any part of the leg below the hip including the foot. Shoot wrestling / pancration wrestling is a form of full contact martial arts in which opponents may, while standing, strike with the open hand, kick, wrestle, throw grapple and submit. For more information about combative sports, e-mail TDLR at CSboxing@tdlr.texas.gov.
All events are subject to change or cancellation.
- 06/01/19 Forcetrain Promotions, Houston
- 06/29/19 Barnone Promotions LLC, Austin
- 06/29/19 Golden Eagle Promotions, Amarillo
- 07/13/19 El Tigre Promotions, Conroe
- 07/13/19 Golden Eagle Promotions, Dallas
- 07/13/19 Garcia Promotions, Irving
- 07/27/19 TMB & PRB Entertainment, Floresville
- 07/27/19 Elite Fighting, Amarillo
- 08/03/19 Supreme Boxing Promotions, San Antonio
- 08/16/19 Triple A Promotions, Laredo
- 08/24/19 Underwood Promotions, Austin
- 11/02/19 Skybox Sports, San Antonio
Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
- 05/24/19 Fury Fighting Championships, Humble
- 06/21/19 TS-1 Promotions, Hidalgo
- 06/21/19 Fury Fighting Championships, San Antonio
- 06/29/19 Fury Fighting Championships, Houston
- 07/12/19 TS1 Promotions, Odessa
- 07/13/19 Back Alley Promotions (XKO), Dallas
- 07/20/19 Zuffa LLC / UFC, San Antonio
- 07/27/19 R & E Promotions, Mission
- 08/02/19 LFA, Dallas
- 10/04/19 Back Alley Promotions (XKO), Dallas
- 11/08/19 TS-1 Promotions, San Antonio
- 06/22/19 Fighting Words Promotions, Ft. Worth (boxing and kickboxing)
- No events currently scheduled.
Amateur Mixed Martial Arts
- 05/24/19 Garcia Promotions, Humble
- 06/21/19 Garcia Promotions, San Antonio
- 06/29/19 Garcia Promotions, Houston
- 08/02/19 LFA Amateur Association, Dallas
News and Updates
TDLR Adopts Rule Review
February 12, 2019
At their meeting held January 11, 2019, the Texas Commission of Licensing and Regulation adopted the rule review of 16 Texas Administrative Code (TAC) Chapter 61, Combative Sports, effective January 25, 2019.
The rule review adoption was published in the February 8, 2019 issue of the Texas Register (44 TexReg 593).
TDLR encourages all persons interested in the Combative Sports program to review the rule review adoption.
Notice of Intent to Review Rules
August 24, 2018
The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (Department) is reviewing the Combative Sports program (Title 16, Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 61) for re-adoption, revision, or repeal.
The Department will determine whether the reasons for adopting or readopting these rules continue to exist by answering the following questions for each rule:
- Is it obsolete?
- Does it reflect current legal and policy considerations?
- Is it in alignment with the current procedures of the Department?
The Department encourages anyone interested in the Combative Sports program to review the Notice of Intent and current Chapter 61 rules online. Comments may be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for comments: September 24, 2018
Vacancy on the Combative Sports Advisory Board
July 26, 2018
The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation announces vacancies on the Combative Sports Advisory Board established by Texas Occupations Code, Chapter 2052. This announcement was published in the July 6, 2018 publication of the Texas Register.
This announcement is for: a representative of a boxing promoter and a representative of a mixed martial arts promoter.
Serving on the Board is not a paid position and there is no compensation or reimbursement for serving on the Board.
Interested persons should complete an application on the Department website. Applicants can also request a paper application from the Department by telephone at (800) 803-9202, fax at (512) 475-2874 or e-mail.
The Dangers of Weight-Cutting
June 6, 2018
The dangers of weight-cutting are real and well documented. Losing pounds rapidly creates serious physical and health problems such as dehydration, decreased kidney function, heat illness, or stroke. Learn more about these dangers in the Popular Science article, “This is why cutting weight is so dangerous for professional fighters.”
Online Training for Contract Inspectors
The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation now offers online training for Contract Inspectors who are an essential part of the Texas Combative Sports Team. If you are interested in an opportunity to work as an inspector at a boxing or mixed martial arts event, the department encourages you to watch the videos in this YouTube playlist and then contact the combative sports program at CSboxing@tdlr.texas.gov .
Live Seminar for Medical Doctors
If you are a medical doctor licensed by the State of Texas interested in participating in TDLR’s Combative Sports program or are currently a ringside physician and want a refresher, you can watch videos of our live seminar in this YouTube playlist.
Combative Sports Safety Webinar
TDLR encourages anyone interested in the safety of combative sports participants to view this "Diagnosis and Management of Concussion in Boxing and Mixed Martial Arts Combatants" webinar.
Advisory Board Meetings
April 20, 2018 Advisory Board Meeting
April 20, 2018 Summit Meeting