Site Navigation

How to Apply for a New Audiology License

If you hold a current intern in audiology license, please see the Intern Upgrade to Audiologist License page.

Application and Fee

To apply for a new audiologist license, submit the online application along with the $150 application fee (includes two-year initial license) and required documents.

You will have 1 year from the date the application was submitted to complete all licensing requirements. If you have not met all licensing requirements within the 1 year period, you will be required to submit a new application and all required materials in addition to paying a new application fee.

Educational Requirements

You must hold a doctoral degree from an accredited college or university with a major in audiology or a related hearing science discipline to apply for an audiology license.


An original or certified copy of academic transcript(s) must be included with your application form. The transcript cannot be faxed. Electronic transcript(s) will be accepted if sent from the university’s secure site to We do not accept electronic transcripts from the applicant.

Non-Accredited Colleges or Universities

If you graduated from a college or university with a program that was not accredited by the ASHA Council on Academic Accreditation, official documentation from the ASHA Council for Clinical Certification that the conferred doctoral degree is adequate for ASHA Certification or from the ABA that the conferred doctoral degree is adequate for ABA Certification.

Foreign Universities

If you graduated from a foreign university or have a transcript in a language other than English, an original evaluation form from an approved transcript evaluation service must be submitted with your application. The transcript evaluation service must determine that your degree is a master’s degree or higher with a major in one of the areas of communicative sciences or disorders.

Internship Requirements

If you hold a current Texas audiology intern license, please see the Intern Upgrade to Audiologist License page.

If an internship was completed out-of-state, include a copy of the supervisor's valid license to practice in that state.

If the state where the internship was completed does not require licensure, then an original letter from ASHA will be required, stating the supervisor held the Certificate of Clinical Competence when the applicant completed the internship.

Examination Requirements

Applicants must pass both the national Praxis Exam as well as the Texas Jurisprudence Examination. Please see the Exam Information page for more details on how to register for these exams.

ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence or ABA Certification

The department may waive the internship requirements and the written examination requirement (Praxis Exam) for applicants who hold current ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence or current ABA Certification. You will need to submit official documentation from ASHA or ABA as evidence that you hold current certification.

Criminal History Evaluation

All new applicants must submit fingerprints for a national criminal history record review. Once your completed application is received by TDLR, instructions on how to schedule an appointment to be fingerprinted will be emailed to you. If you previously submitted fingerprints for a Texas audiology assistant license or a Texas intern in audiology license, you do not need to submit fingerprints again.

Having a criminal conviction does not necessarily disqualify you from licensure. Texas allows you to have your criminal history evaluated before submitting your application and non-refundable fees. Please see Guidelines for License Applicants with Criminal Convictions for further information.

Dual Licensure in Speech-Language Pathology

Dual licensure means that an individual is licensed to practice as both a speech-language pathologist and as an audiologist. The speech-language pathologist and audiologist licenses are separate license types, and they will each require separate applications.

Please see the How to Apply for a New Speech-Language Pathology License page for complete details on how to apply.