Site Navigation

How to Apply for a New Speech-Language Pathology License

If you currently hold a valid intern in speech-language pathology license, please see the Intern Upgrade to Speech-Language Pathologist License page.

Application and Fee

To apply for a new speech-language pathology license, submit the online application along with the $150 application fee (includes two-year initial license) and required documents.

You will have 1 year from the date the application was submitted to complete all licensing requirements. If you have not met all licensing requirements within the 1 year period, you will be required to submit a new application and all required materials in addition to paying a new application fee.

Educational Requirements

You must hold master's degree (or higher) with a major in one of the areas of communicative sciences or disorders to apply for a speech-language pathology license.


An original or certified copy of your academic transcript(s) must be provided. The transcript cannot be faxed. Electronic transcript(s) will be accepted if sent from the university’s secure site to We do not accept electronic transcripts from the applicant.

Non-Accredited Colleges or Universities

If you graduated from a college or university with a program that was not accredited by the ASHA Council on Academic Accreditation, an original signed letter from ASHA must be included with your application, stating the Council for Clinical Certification has accepted the coursework and clinical experience.

Degrees Earned More than 10 Years Ago

If the masters degree was earned more than 10 years ago, you must submit proof of current knowledge the practice speech-language pathology. Proof of current knowledge may include: recently completing continuing education or other courses; holding a current license in another state; holding a current ASHA certification; or retaking and passing the written examination.

Master's Degree in Audiology

An applicant who possesses a master's degree with a major in audiology and is pursuing a license in speech-language pathology may apply if TDLR has an original transcript showing completion of a master's degree with a major in audiology on file and a letter from the program director or designee of the college or university stating that the individual completed enough hours to establish a graduate-level major in speech-language pathology and would meet the academic and clinical experience requirements for a license as a speech-language pathologist.

Clinical Experience Requirements

An applicant must have completed at least twenty-five (25) clock hours of supervised observation before completing the following hours of supervised clinical direct client contact, which may be referred to as clinical practicum, with individuals who present a variety of communication disorders within an educational institution or in one of its cooperating programs:

  1. 275 clock hours if the master's degree was earned prior to November 10, 1993; or
  2. 350 clock hours if the master's degree was earned between November 10, 1993 and December 31, 2004; or
  3. 400 clock hours if the master's degree was earned on or after January 1, 2005

Internship Requirements

A Report of Completed Speech-Language Pathology Internship Form (PDF) must be completed by your supervisor and signed by both you and your supervisor, indicating that all requirements of the internship have been completed. The form must be submitted within 30 days of completion of the internship.

Internships must consist of at least 36 weeks of full-time (35 hours per week) supervised professional experience (or its part-time equivalent of supervised professional experience) totaling a minimum of 1,260 hours. Part-time work can be completed, as long as the intern works no less than 5 hours per week. Working more than 35 hours per week will not shorten the minimum requirement of 36 weeks.

Out-of-State Internships

If an internship was completed out-of-state, include a copy of the supervisor’s valid license to practice in that state.

If the state where the internship was completed does not require licensure, then an original letter from ASHA will be required, stating the supervisor held the Certificate of Clinical Competence when the applicant completed the internship.

Examination Requirements

Applicants must pass both the national Praxis Exam as well as the Texas Jurisprudence Examination. Please see the Exam Information page for more details on how to register for these exams.

ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence

The department may waive the internship requirements and the written examination requirement (Praxis Exam) for applicants who hold an ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence. You will need to submit official documentation from ASHA as evidence that you meet the examination requirements.

Criminal History Evaluation

All new applicants must submit fingerprints for a national criminal history record review. Once your completed application is received by TDLR, instructions on how to schedule an appointment to be fingerprinted will be emailed to you. If you previously submitted fingerprints for a Texas speech-language pathology assistant license or a Texas intern in speech-language pathology license, you do not need to submit fingerprints again.

Having a criminal conviction does not necessarily disqualify you from licensure. Texas allows you to have your criminal history evaluated before submitting your application and non-refundable fees. Please see Guidelines for License Applicants with Criminal Convictions for further information.

Dual Licensure in Audiology

Dual licensure means that an individual is licensed to practice as both a speech-language pathologist and as an audiologist. The speech-language pathologist and audiologist licenses are separate license types, and they will each require separate applications.

Please see the How to Apply for a New Audiology License page for complete details on how to apply.