Site Navigation

How to Apply for a New Assistant in Speech-Language Pathology License

Application and Fee

To apply for a new speech-language pathology assistant license, submit the online application along with the $150 application fee (includes two-year initial license) and required documents.

You will have 1 year from the date the application was submitted to complete all licensing requirements. If you have not met all licensing requirements within the 1 year period, you will be required to submit a new application and all required materials in addition to paying a new application fee.

Educational Requirements

You should hold a bachelor's degree (or higher) with an emphasis in speech-language pathology and/or audiology to apply for an assistant in speech-language pathology license.

If you have a bachelor's degree with a major that is not in communicative sciences or disorders, you may still qualify for the assistant license. The department will evaluate transcripts on a case-by-case basis to ensure equivalent academic preparation. All applicants must have at least 24 semester credit hours in speech-language pathology and/or audiology (up to 6 credit hours of audiology may count toward the 24 credit hours), including at least three hours in language disorders and at least three hours in speech disorders.


An original or certified copy of your academic transcript(s) must be provided. The transcript cannot be faxed. Electronic transcript(s) will be accepted if sent from the university’s secure site to  We do not accept electronic transcripts from the applicant.

Clinical Observation and Experience

An applicant for a speech-language pathology assistant license should earn 25 hours of clinical observation and 25 hours of clinical assisting experience through their university before graduating. If any hours of clinical experience and/or clinical observation were obtained through the university, a Clinical Observation and Experience Form for Speech-Language Pathology Assistant (PDF), must be completed by the university program director or designee and submitted by the applicant.

Clinical Deficiencies

For applicants who did not obtain all of the 25 hours of clinical observation and 25 hours of clinical assisting experience through their university, an Assistant in Speech-Language Pathology Clinical Deficiency Plan Form (PDF) must be submitted with the Speech-Language Pathology Assistant application. The Clinical Deficiency Plan is used to obtain and document clinical observation and clinical assisting experience hours that were not earned before graduation. The proposed supervisor will complete the Assistant in Speech-Language Pathology Clinical Deficiency Plan Form and the applicant will submit the form with their application. If an applicant did not complete all of their hours through their university, they must wait for their speech-language pathology assistant license to be issued before completing the missing hours under the Clinical Deficiency Plan.

Degrees Earned More than 10 Years Ago

If the bachelor's degree was earned more than 10 years ago, you must submit proof of current knowledge the practice speech-language pathology. Proof of current knowledge may include: recently completing continuing education or other courses; holding a current license in another state; or holding a current ASHA certification.

Supervisory Requirements

An assistant in speech-language pathology must work under the supervision of a licensed speech-language pathologist who agrees to assume responsibility for all services provided by the assistant.

You must submit a Speech Language Pathology Supervisory Responsibility Statement Form (PDF), completed by the licensed supervisor who agrees to accept responsibility for the services provided by you once you receive your license, with your application. Your license must be issued and you must be added to your proposed supervisor’s license before you may begin to practice as a speech-language pathology assistant.

Your supervisor must have at least two years of professional experience in providing direct client services, which may include an internship year (clinical fellowship) year. Your supervisor may not supervise more than a total of four interns and/or assistants at one time, and your supervisor must not be your parent or child.

Note: Supervisors must be approved by the department prior to supervising assistants.

Add, Delete, or Change Supervisor

You may not practice without supervision. Your supervisor is required to notify TDLR of any changes in supervision. Supervisors may use the online licensing system to delete licensed assistants from their license, or they may submit a letter to TDLR stating termination of supervision.

Your new proposed supervisor must submit a new Supervisory Responsibility Statement to TDLR for approval. Assistants who currently have a license with TDLR may be added and removed online using the online licensing system. For further assistance, please see the instructions for managing assistants online (PDF).

Supervisors must be approved by the department prior to supervising assistants.

Examination Requirements

Applicants must provide proof of successfully completing the Texas Jurisprudence Examination when submitting an application.

Criminal History Evaluation

All new applicants must submit fingerprints for a national criminal history record review. Once your completed application is received by TDLR, instructions on how to schedule an appointment to be fingerprinted will be emailed to you.

Having a criminal conviction does not necessarily disqualify you from licensure. Texas allows you to have your criminal history evaluated before submitting your application and non-refundable fees. Please see Guidelines for License Applicants with Criminal Convictions for further information.