Motor Fuel Metering and Quality

Order Your Consumer Information Sticker

Protect the Pump motor fuel meter sticker

You may now order new or replacement consumer information stickers online:

Order Online

Fees are $1 per sticker.

Sign Up for Email Updates

Stay up-to-date on recent developments with email notifications. Get info on changes to laws and rules, important notices, upcoming meetings, and more.


The TDLR Motor Fuel Metering and Quality Program regulates the quantity of motor fuels sold in the State of Texas by registering the companies that sell motor fuels and people who perform inspections of fuel delivery devices and the fuel itself.

News and Updates

Notice of Applications for Motor Fuel Metering and Quality Stakeholder Workgroup

The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (Department) is accepting applications to fill twelve positions on the Motor Fuel Metering and Quality Workgroup (Workgroup) established by Senate Bill 2119 of the 86th Legislative Session. The purpose of the Workgroup is to provide input, advice, and recommendations to the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation and Texas Department of Agriculture on the orderly transfer of powers, duties, functions, programs, and activities related to the motor fuel quality and metering program. Service as a Workgroup member is voluntary, and compensation is not authorized by law. This announcement is for:

  • Two Licensed Service Companies or their representative:
    • one from an area with a population of 250,000 or greater
    • one from an area with a population of less than 250,000
  • Three Convenience Store Operators or their representative:
    • one operator with 100 or fewer motor fuel pump devices (meters);
    • one operator with greater than 100 motor fuel pump devices (meters), but less than 1,000 motor fuel pump devices (meters); and
    • one with 1,000 or more motor fuel pump devices (meters)
  • One bulk meter operator or their representative
  • One liquid propane gas operator or their representative
  • Two Fuel Marketers (includes suppliers, distributors or wholesalers) their representative
  • One Law Enforcement Agency Representative experienced in skimmer investigations
  • Two Financial Institution representatives or Credit Card issuer representatives

Interested persons should complete an application on the Department website. Applicants can also request an application from the Department by telephone (800) 803-9202 or by e-mail

This is not a paid position and there is no compensation or reimbursement for serving on the Workgroup.

Issued in Austin Texas on September 27, 2019.

Brian E. Francis
Executive Director
Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation

Motor Fuels Program Moves from Department of Agriculture to TDLR

Senate Bill 2119 in the 86th Legislature transferred oversight of the Motor Fuels program from the Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA) to TDLR. TDLR and TDA have worked closely to make sure that the transfer of the Motor Fuels program goes as smoothly as possible for consumers and licensees.

TDLR has temporarily delegated licensing of motor fuel distributors, wholesalers, jobbers, suppliers, licensed service companies and licensed service technicians to TDA.

Meanwhile, TDLR will use its regulatory authority to protect Texas consumers and to perform motor fuels investigations into motor fuels quantity, pricing complaints and skimmers. TDLR will partner with the Office of the Attorney General (OAG) on fuel quality investigations and prosecutions.


As of September 1, 2019:

To file a complaint about fuel quality, fuel quantity, fuel pump measurement, advertised price, device registration or skimmers, please visit the TDLR Complaints page.

To report an environmental emergency, discharge, spill, or air release, such as leaky hoses please call the State of Texas Spill-Reporting Hotline at 1-800-832-8224 – 24 hours a day. For more information, including links to rules, laws, technical assistance, waste management, and State Emergency Response Commission (SERC), please visit the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality website.

Learn about TDLR’s Complaint Investigation and Resolution process.


TDLR has delegated authority to the Texas Department of Agriculture for registration of the following licenses:

  • Distributors
  • Wholesalers
  • Jobbers
  • Suppliers
  • Licensed Service Technicians
  • Licensed Service Companies
  • Devices

Register these licenses with TDA