Site Navigation

How to Apply for a New Mold Analysis Laboratory License

Application and Fee

To apply for a new Mold Analysis Laboratory license, submit a completed application form (Apply Online or see Mold Analysis Laboratory Initial License Application - PDF) along with the $750 license fee.

Laboratory Accreditation

Please provide evidence of ONE of the following:

  1. The laboratory is accredited by the American Industrial Hygiene Association under the Environmental Microbiology Laboratory Accreditation Program (EMLAP)
  2. The laboratory is accredited or certified by a program deemed equivalent by the department for the preparation and analysis of mold
  3. All individuals who will analyze mold samples are accredited by the Pan-American Aerobiology Certification Board or a program deemed equivalent by the department, if the laboratory will analyze only non-culturable samples
  4. All individuals who will analyze the mold samples meet all of the following qualifications listed below:
    (If qualifying under this item, please provide a statement listing all individuals who will analyze mold samples)
    1. Have at least a bachelor’s degree in microbiology or biology
    2. Have completed mold analysis training through the McCrone Research Institute OR by a program deemed equivalent by the department
    3. Have at least three years of experience as a mold microscopist

Oversight of Mold Analysis Activities

Mold analysis activity at the laboratory must be overseen by a full-time mycologist or microbiologist who meets at least one of the following qualifications:

Office in Texas

A licensed mold analysis laboratory must maintain an office in Texas.

An in-state physical address must be listed on your license application. P.O. boxes are not allowed.

Insurance Requirements

Licensed mold analysis laboratories are required to obtain commercial general liability insurance in the amount of not less than $1 million per occurrence. This insurance coverage must be maintained for the duration of the license, and proof of insurance should be submitted to the department along with your application.

A non-governmental entity, such as a business or an individual, may be "self-insured" if the business or individual submits to the department a signed affidavit stating that the business or individual has a net worth of at least $1 million. A current financial statement indicating a net worth of at least $1 million must accompany the affidavit. A new affidavit and current financial statement must be submitted with each renewal application.

Governmental entities that are self-insured are not required to purchase this insurance.

Branch Offices

Branch offices that perform mold analysis must fulfill the same equipment and operational standards as the main office that has been licensed and must comply with the laboratory accreditation requirements of the main office.