Site Navigation

Mobile Establishment FAQs

For information about licensing, see Apply for a Mobile Establishment License

1. I have a mobile establishment. May I provide services inside a person’s home?

No, the rules governing mobile establishments do not allow services to be performed outside of the mobile unit or while it is in motion.

2. How can a mobile establishment be inspected if it moves around?

The mobile unit must be equipped with a Global Positioning System that can be tracked by TDLR at all times; or, the owner of the mobile establishment must submit a weekly itinerary at least 7 days before the shop begins to provide service for that week. Violations will be written to the mobile establishment owner if the mobile unit is not where the itinerary indicates.

See the physical location requirements for more info.

3. Must a mobile establishment have hot and cold running water?

Yes, just like all other licensed establishments, the mobile unit must have hot and cold running water at all times.

A mobile establishment must have a water heater that provides fresh, hot water continuously and on demand.

4. What happens if the mobile unit runs out of potable (fresh) water during a business day?

The establishment must discontinue operation until the fresh water holding tank has been refilled.

5. Is there anything other than the TDLR license needed in order to operate a mobile establishment?

TDLR does not require any other license to own a mobile establishment. However, anyone considering a mobile establishment license should research the cities in which they intend to offer services to find out whether they would need any additional type of city permit to offer services there. An owner must also be responsible to see that any individual who is employed or rents in a mobile establishment is properly licensed. Section 83.78(c) of the rules requires that an owner keep a list of employees and renters along with their license information.

6. What does “self-contained” mean in regard to a mobile establishment?

Section 83.10(39) of the administrative rules defines“self-contained” as “Containing within itself all that is necessary to be able to operate without connecting to outside utilities such as water and electricity.”

7. Does a mobile establishment need different equipment than an establishment in a fixed location?

No, a mobile establishment uses the same type of equipment as any other establishment; however, there are additional safety requirements for a mobile establishment to protect public safety and avoid injury.

8. Am I required to have public restrooms in my mobile establishment?

A restroom must be available for use, but it doesn't have to be part of the mobile establishment itself. A functioning restroom must be available for use on the premises where the mobile establishment is located when providing services.

9. Are mobile establishments the same thing as “remote services” ?

No, they are different.

Texas law grants individual licensees the ability to offer remote services outside of licensed establishments or schools by using “digitally prearranged remote services. By contrast, mobile establishments are licensed establishments housed inside of a mobile unit.