What to Expect During a Barber School Inspection
Inspector(s) will arrive and introduce themselves and present state ID as well as a business card.
Inspector will ask to speak to the owner or manager. If neither is available, the inspector will notify the person in charge that the inspection will proceed.
The inspection will consist of the following:
Check for Required Postings
- Consumer complaint sign
- Sanitation Rules
- Foot spa log (if applicable)
- Most recent inspection report
- Current school license
- Current instructors licenses (with current photo of licensee attached)
- Outside building in at least 10-inch letters “BARBER SCHOOL--STUDENT BARBERS.”
- Signs containing “BARBER SCHOOL--STUDENT BARBERS “on each inside wall of the school.
Check Building Requirements
- Classroom and practical areas
- Required equipment
Inspector will confirm there is adequate space, equipment, lighting and instructional materials to provide quality classroom training for the number of students enrolled.
- A barber school must have at least one instructor for every 25 students on the school’s premises.
- A school may not enroll more than three student instructors for each licensed instructor.
- Check that hours are being recorded in SHEARS.
- Check display of Student Permits at work stations, and in album.
- Check that the school is properly accounting for hours granted to students through monthly progress reports documenting daily attendance.
- Check that monthly progress reports are being retained in student file for 48 months.
Check for the Implementation of Health and Sanitation Standards and Practices
- Work stations
- Implements cleaned and sanitized before use on each client
- Wet disinfectants
- Dry storage areas
- Towel storage (clean, soiled)
- Shampoo bowls
- Hair swept up as soon as practicable
- Single use items being discarded after each use
- Trash receptacle covered
- Check restrooms. (hot and cold running water, clean and in good repair, and no chemicals stored in restroom)
- Check that furniture, floors, windows, ceilings, and equipment are clean and in good repair in accordance to sanitation rules.
- Check manicure/pedicure area and facial area (if applicable) for compliance.
- If school is providing manicure or pedicure nail services an autoclave, dry heat sterilizer or ultra violet sanitizer is required.
- Check that prohibited products are not in the school and no prohibited practices are being performed.