Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Driver Education

Minor and Adult Driver Education

1. Who is required to take a driver education course?

Any person between 14 and 25 years old.

2. I want to take a driver education course, what are my options?

  • Enrolling in a driver education school
  • Enrolling in an approved parent taught course
  • Completing a driver education course at a public school, education service center, college or university

3. How much do driver education courses cost?

Each school establishes the cost of their program. Please contact the school directly for this information.

4. How long is the minor and adult driver education course?

The classroom phase of a driver education course is at least 32 hours, and it cannot be completed in fewer than 16 days. The in-car phase consists of 7 hours of behind-the-wheel driving, 7 hours of in-car observation, and an additional 30 hours of behind-the-wheel practice, of which 10 hours must be done at night.

The additional 30 hours of behind-the-wheel practice must be monitored from the front passenger seat during the driving practice by an adult 21 years or older who holds a valid driver license and has at least one year of driving experience

5. Can a person older than 18, but younger than 25, take the minor and adult driver education course (32 hours of classroom, 7 hours behind-the-wheel, 7 hours observation)?

Yes, anyone 14 years old or older can take the course.

6. I lost the form that I received when I completed my driver education course and I need it to get my driver license. Who can I contact to get a duplicate?

To get a duplicate certificate of completion (the DE-964 or DE-964E Certificate of Completion), contact the public school or driver education school you attended. If you completed a parent taught course, contact the parent taught course provider.

7. My child dropped out of high school and has been told that they cannot get a driver license until they are 18. Is that true?

Yes. Persons under 18 must be enrolled and attending school as a condition of being licensed to operate a motor vehicle, unless the person has a high school diploma or GED.

8. What is a student’s alternative to getting a Verification of Enrollment and Attendance Form from their high school during the summer months?

If the VOE is issued the last week of school or during the summer, it is valid for more than the normal 30 days; i.e. until school starts after summer vacation. If you are applying during the summer and are still enrolled in school, your last report card for the most recent school year is acceptable if it has the student’s name, a list of absences, and a complete listing of grades.

9. I am enrolled in a 32-hour teen driver education course and I just turned 18. Can I use the time I have already completed as proof of completion of my 6-hour adult driver education course?

No. Teen driver education classroom hours cannot be applied to the 6-hour adult driver education classroom hour requirements. You must complete the full adult driver course or complete the full teen driver education program.

10. I completed my driver education course and the school will not issue my completion certificate. What should I do?

The school can withhold the completion certificate if the course has not been paid for in full. Please contact the school first to verify that the student has completed all the required classes or make-up hours. If you have reached out to the school and they will not provide you with your completion certificate, please contact driver education and safety program staff and include the name and address of the school, and the student’s first and last name.

Adult Driver Education

1. Who can take the driver education course exclusively for adults?

Any person who is 18 or older.

2. How long is the course?

This is a 6-hour course offered by a licensed driver education school. It may be completed online or in-person

3. I’m 19 years old and want to get my driver’s license. Do I have to take a course?

Yes, Texas law requires persons 18-25 who wish to obtain a driver’s license to successfully complete a driver education course.

4. Can I take a 6-hour driving safety or a 6-hour drug and alcohol course to get my driver’s license?

No, these are court-ordered courses for an offense and may not be used to obtain a driver’s license.

5. How do I obtain a copy of my completion certificate?

To request a duplicate copy of the completion certificate (ADE-1317), please contact the driver education school where you completed the course


1. If I start at one driver education school, am I allowed to transfer to a different school?

Yes, you may transfer to another driver education school. For more information about transfers, please contact driver education and safety program staff.

2. I was enrolled in an out-of-state driver education course and completed part of or all my classroom hours but never got a driver license or permit. Do these hours transfer to Texas?

Out of state hours do not transfer to Texas. You will need to enroll into a Texas driver education program to complete the classroom and driving requirements necessary to obtain a Texas learner’s permit and driver license. Please check with DPS for more information.

3. I have a learner’s license from out of state. Does that transfer to Texas?

Please check with DPS for more information on transferring your learner license to Texas .

4. How long must I hold a Texas learner’s permit before I can get my provisional license?

You must hold a Texas learner’s permit for a minimum of six months (unless you turn 18) prior to obtaining your provisional license.

5. I've heard that my child can complete the classroom phase of driver education at their high school or a licensed driver education school, and afterwards we can transfer to the Parent Taught Program so I can teach the in-car portion. Is that true?

Yes, that can be done but there are requirements:

  • Your child must complete the entire classroom phase at the licensed driver education school or high school. You must obtain an official transfer of classroom hours from the high school or licensed driver education school, so you can prove to DPS that they completed the classroom phase. The transfer is also used to obtain their permit.
  • You must apply for a TDLR Parent Taught Driver Education Program Guide and receive it before you and your child begin the in-car phase. Your child must also have a valid learner’s permit issued by DPS before any driving instruction may be given.

You must complete the requirements as specified in the TDLR Parent Taught Driver Education Program Guide, but only those that apply to the in-car phase.

Driver Education School Closures


1. I attended a driver education school and it recently closed. What are my options to finish my education? What steps do I take now?

If you are under the age of 25 you may enroll in another driver education school or parent taught course to complete your education. You may view a list of all Driver Education Schools and Parent Taught Course Providers licensed by TDLR by using the license search tool available here:

2. Will the hours I earned at the closed school transfer to another school or will I lose my hours earned?

A verification letter will be sent to you once TDLR has received your records and has made a determination of the number of hours completed. You should not lose the hours earned at the closed school when transferring to another driver education school. However, if you choose to transfer to a parent taught driver education course, you will lose hours of any partially completed phases. For more information on this, please contact driver education and safety program staff.

3. Will I receive a refund for the tuition I paid to the school?

When a school closure prevents a student from completing his/her driver training, all tuition and fees paid become refundable. The school owner is required to issue full refunds in accordance with Texas Education Code 1001.403. In situations when a school owner fails to issue refunds TDLR will attempt to acquire the students’ records and file a claim against the school’s bond. In most cases only partial refunds can be issued

4. What happens when a driver education school has closed?

When a driver education school closes, they are required to complete and issue records for the students and issue refunds if applicable.

5. My school closed and I need my completion certificate/DE-964. What do I do?

Please contact driver education and safety program staff with the following information so that TDLR can locate your certificate and records.

  1. Name of school that closed
  2. Dates of Enrollment
  3. Student first and Last name
  4. Parents First and Last Name


6. I need to close my driver education school, what do I do?

The school owner shall notify the department at least fifteen (15) business days before the anticipated school closure in accordance with Texas Administrative Code 84.40(h). School owners must notify the students and parents of their closure. In addition, the school owner shall provide written notice of the actual discontinuance of the operation on the day of cessation of classes. Notices can be sent via the Education Division contact form and must include the following information:

  1. Date of actual closure
  2. Number of students affected by the closure
  3. Address where the records will be kept for up to 3 years
  4. A valid phone number and email address in the event the department needs to contact you for student records.
  5. Verification of student refunds

7. If our school accepts a student from a closed school, how will we know how many hours of classroom or driving instruction the student has received?

The student will either have a transfer certificate from the closed school showing the number of hours completed or a Verification of Instruction letter from TDLR with that information. If you have any questions about a letter you received, please contact driver education and safety program staff.

8. How long am I required to keep student records?

All records must be kept for three years in a secure location that is only accessible to the owner.

9. Am I required to issue refunds?

Yes, Texas Education Code 1001, sec 1001.403 states: On the discontinuation of a course by a driver education school or a course provider that prevents a student from completing the course, all tuition and fees paid become refundable.

10. Can I continue to drive with my students without the physical location being open?

No, all parts of driver education must take place at an approved school.

11. What do I do with my unused certificates?

All unused DE-964 and ADE-1317 certificates of completion are to be returned to TDLR within 30 days from the date the school closes. Certificates can be overnighted to TDLR, 920 Colorado, Austin, TX 78701, Attention: Licensing

12. Can I transfer unused certificates I paid for to another school?

No, state law does not allow for the transfer of unused driver education certificates

Driver Education Schools

1. I want to open a driver education school. What do I need?

To apply for a driver education school license, please submit a completed Driver Education School Application (PDF) along with the $500.00 non-refundable fee.

2. What are the facility requirements for a physical location?

The requirements for a driver education school can be found under Texas Education Code 1001.204.

3. I submitted my school application, what happens next? Can I start operating?

Once your application is submitted it will be reviewed by a program specialist and once the course has been approved, you will be sent the inspection request form. You cannot start operating until the inspection has been completed and your license has been issued.

4. Can I advertise while my school application is being processed?

Yes, but only as a prospective school opening soon. You cannot enroll students, schedule or begin any classes until the application has been approved.

5. Do you have a checklist I can look over to make sure my school meets all the requirements of a driver education school?

Once your Texas driver education school application has been approved and all requirements have been met, which includes the approval of the curriculum, you will be sent an Initial School Inspection Request Form. You will be required to verify that the facility is ready for inspection. Once this information is received, an inspector will contact you to schedule your initial inspection.

For an overview of the inspection process, please see the What to Expect During a Driver Education School Inspection.

You must meet all requirements for licensure within 12 months of the filing date, or the application will be terminated.

6. What is the procedure for changing ownership of my driver education school?

The new owner is required to submit a driver education application, a new bond under the new owner’s name, a copy of the seller’s contract or any instrument of transferring the ownership of the driver education school, and a change in ownership fee.

7. I need to change the ownership of my branch location - how do I do that?

Branch schools are owned by the same person, partnership, or corporation as the primary driver education school. You cannot change one without changing the other.

8. I purchased a driver education school and TDLR issued me a different license number than the school I purchased - why?

A person, partnership, or corporation purchasing a licensed driver education school must obtain their own original or branch school license.

9. I am not conducting driver education classes currently. Can I place my school license on “Inactive” and continue paying the renewal fee each year?

No, there isn’t anything in the Texas Education Code or the Texas Administrative Code that allows for a driver education school to place their license on “inactive” or “dormant.”

10. I need to change the physical address of my driver education school. How do I do that?

You will need to notify TDLR using the Change of Address form at least 15 business days before the move and include the required fee and bond. Any school that changes their physical address will need to be inspected and approved by TDLR before beginning classes.

11. I want to offer my course in Spanish, what do I need to send in?

You will submit the Spanish course to TDLR along with a written declaration from the translator that they have translated the course to Spanish.

The same applies to the 6-hour adult course in Spanish.

All written statements submitted to the department must include the school name, school license number, and fee in the mount of $25. Any courses offered in Spanish must have the most current version of the Texas Driver Handbook in Spanish.

Renewing a Driver Education School License

1. I need to renew my driver education school license, what do I need to send in?

You will need to send in the renewal form from the driver education forms page. TDLR does not send out a renewal notice for schools.

2. I renewed my driver education school license weeks ago, but I haven’t received my license yet. What should I do?

If you do not receive your license and it has been more than two weeks, please contact driver education and safety program staff and include the name of your school and the license number.

American Sign Language Course

Students and Parents:

1. I am a deaf or hard of hearing student, am I required to take the American Sign Language (ASL) course?

No, you are not required to take the ASL course if you'd prefer to take a different one.

2. How do I get my certificate of completion (DE-964)?

You must first take the course through a licensed driver education school. Once you have completed the course, you will be issued your certificate of completion.

3. Do you have a list of schools offering the ASL course?

No, you will need to contact the driver education schools in your area and see what accommodations they offer.

Driver Education School Owners

1. I am a driver education school that offers the course in a classroom. Am I required to have the American Sign Language course approved prior to using it?

No, there is not an approval process for this. However, you will need to contact driver education and safety program staff and state that you intend to provide the course.

2. Are online driver education courses considered driver education schools and are they required to make reasonable accommodations for deaf or hard of hearing students?


3. I am an online driver education school. If I wish to offer the American Sign Language course, will I have to incorporate the timers, content validation questions, and security questions?

Yes, you must incorporate the appropriate measures to comply with Texas Administrative Code 84.501.

3. When do I issue the certificate of completion (DE-964)?

The driver education school will issue a certificate for the portion of the driver education certificate that the student has successfully completed Driving Safety

Driving Safety

Driving Safety Course

1. What is a driving safety class?

A Driving Safety class is generally required to dismiss a traffic citation or for insurance discounts. The driving safety course is sometimes referred to as a Defensive Driving Class.

2. Will I receive my certificate at the end of the class?

No, by law the certificate must be sent to you by the course provider.

3. Can I ask the course provider to send the certificate to the court?

No, the course provider cannot send the certificate to the court.

Specialized Course (Seat Belt)

1. Who can require a person to attend a “seatbelt” class?

A judge will require the class based on the ticket received. If you have any questions, please contact your attorney or the court that issued the order.

2. Will I receive my certificate from the instructor at the end of the class?

No, by law the certificate can only be issued by the course provider.

3. Can I ask the course provider to send the certificate to the court?

No, the course provider cannot send the certificate to the court.

Younger than 25 Course

1. Who can require a person to take a Younger Than 25 course?

A judge can require someone younger than 25 to take this course in addition to a regular driving safety course. If you have any questions, please contact your attorney or the judge that issued the order.

2. Can I take the course online?

No, this is a 4-hour live interactive course.

3. Will I receive a certificate once I complete the course?

No, by law the certificate can only be issued by the course provider.

Course Provider

1. I want to offer a driving safety course in Texas, what do I need to submit?

To apply for a driving safety course provider license, please submit a completed Driving Safety Course Provider Application (PDF) and Driving Safety Course Application along with the non-refundable $500.00 course provider fee and the $5,850.00 driving safety course fee. If you wish to offer the course online you must submit the additional Alternative Delivery Method Course application and $5,850.00 application fee.

All requirements must be met within 12 months of the filing date or the application will be terminated.

Driving safety course provider licenses are valid for one year from the date of issue.

2. What is the difference between a course provider and a driving safety school?

The course provider is responsible for administrative functions for the driving safety course including: issuing the uniform certificates of completion, uploading the certificate data to TDLR, updating the course as necessary, training all instructors, and ensuring that the classes are provided by licensed schools and instructors who are qualified to teach the course.

The driving safety schools are responsible for providing the courses to the public. They must follow all the course provider and TDLR policies and procedures.

3. Can I submit a course in Texas if I am in another state?

Yes, course providers and all course provider facilities that process, deliver, store curriculum materials, student records, or Uniform Certificates of Completion for Texas courses must be in the state or maintain a registered agent in Texas.

4. Are course providers required to issue their own Uniform Certificates of Course Completion?

Yes, the course provider must first submit an issuance plan and sample certificate that follow TDLR-approved guidelines and receive approval to issue certificates to students. Please contact driver education and safety program staff for the driving safety certificate template and specifications.

5. Is it true that my instructors will not be able to hand the certificates of completion to students when they complete the course?

Yes, state law requires that the course provider mail or send the certificate electronically to the student.

6. Can driving safety students have their uniform certificates of completion delivered to them by courier?

Yes, a course provider can use a commercial courier as an equivalent delivery service, but only if the certificates are delivered to the students’ mailing address no earlier than the day after course completion.

7. How much time do I have to mail those certificates?

Certificates must be issued no later than 15 working days after the student successfully completes the course.

8. Are there any other requirements or time limits I need to be aware of?

Prior to submitting a driving safety course provider application, we encourage you to read the course provider and driving safety course sections found under Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 84 and Texas Education Code Chapter 1001.

9. Who should I contact if I have questions about the upload file?

Please contact the Education and Examination division at

10. When can I begin advertising my course?

An applicant applying for approval of a new license shall be allowed to advertise in a manner as approved by the department. Any publicly posted advertisement from a license applicant subject to license approval by the department shall include the following information:

  • (1) A notice stating “Driving School Coming Soon”; and
  • (2) Display a functioning phone number and email address for the school within the advertisement

Traditional Course

1. What are the requirements for writing a 6-hour traditional course?

The requirements for writing a traditional driving safety course, continuing education, and instructor development can be found under Title 16, Texas Administrative Code, Section 84.502.

2. What are the requirements for writing a Younger than 25 course?

The curriculum outline requirements can be found under Education Code, Section 1001.111.

3. What are the requirements for writing a Specialized Driving course?

The requirements for writing a Specialized Driving Safety course can be found under Title 16, Texas Administrative Code, Section 85.403.

4. How long does it take to approve a driving safety course?

The length of time it takes to approve a driving safety course varies. During the review of your proposed course, you will be notified in writing of any discrepancies and the program specialist will work with you until all course requirements have been met.

5. Will my course be permitted to use videos, film clips, and pictures I copy from TV, magazines, or movies?

Copyright laws are outside of TDLR’s authority, so you are responsible for obtaining approval from the person or agency that owns the copyright of any multimedia, educational resource, or statistics that you use before you submit them as part of your course. Failure to do so might require you to make significant and/or expensive changes to your course after it has been approved.

6. My course is a “clone course,” will it still need to be reviewed?

Yes, all courses are reviewed as if they were brand new courses.

Alternative Delivery Method (ADM)

1. I want to develop an Alternative Delivery Method (ADM) of a driving safety course. What are the requirements?

For ADM courses, providers must use 16 TAC 84.502 and 84.504 when creating these courses.

2. I only want to offer an online course; do I still have to submit a traditional course?

Yes, 16 TAC 84.504 states: Standards for approval. The department may approve an ADM for an approved driving safety course or a specialized driving safety course and waive any rules to accomplish this approval if the ADM delivers an approved course in a manner that is at least as secure as a traditional classroom. ADMs that meet the requirements outlined in subsections (b)-(h), shall receive ADM approval.

3. Does the Alternative Delivery Method have to follow the same topics and course content as the approved course?

Although the ADM must deliver the same topics and course content as the approved course, the ADM sequencing may be different from the approved traditional course if the sequencing does not detract from the educational value of the course.

4. Is there still a validation process required in an Alternative Delivery Method (ADM)?

Yes, there is a requirement to incorporate a validation process that verifies student participation and comprehension of course material throughout the course. Validation process can be found under Title 16, Texas Administrative Code, Section 84.504.

5. Is approval by TDLR required before a driving safety course can be delivered by an alternative delivery method?

Yes, TDLR is charged with the responsibility of reviewing and approving all driving safety courses and all ADM’s of those driving safety courses.

6. Will I have to resubmit my payment if I submit my Traditional or Alternative Delivery Method course and must change some or all the course before it is approved?

No, your course is not required to be in perfect condition when initially submitted but must be complete and reviewable at that time. TDLR will review the proposed course first, identify any areas that are unacceptable, and notify you via email. After course approval is granted, TDLR will review the ADM following the same procedures. If you fail to make the necessary changes within a one-year period, your course will not be approved, and the fee will not be refunded.

7. After my ADM is approved, can I make changes to the course with notifying TDLR of the changes made?

No, TDLR will need to review and approve and changes that are made to the course.

8. Should I let the students know that personal validation questions will be asked during the course?

It’s a good idea to let the students know in advance but is not required. You could also use this time to let them know your security and privacy policy at the same time.

9. Are third-party databases the only means of verifying a student’s identity?

No, rule does not require you to use a third-party database.

10. Which third-party databases are available for use in Texas?

While any student validation database is acceptable, the two most common are the Department of Public Safety (DPS) Driver’s License Database and the Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT) Motor Vehicles Database.

11. How do I contact TxDPS for use of their database?

The TxDPS Driver’s License database is not available to the general public, but licensed course providers are qualified purchasers. A contract with DPS is required to establish eligibility. Call TxDPS at (512) 424-2186 for more information.

12. If a student has an out-of-state license and we cannot verify his or her identity through third-party sources, can we stop asking validation questions?

No, validation questions should still be asked throughout the course.

13. What do we do with a completion certificate if a student takes 20-30 days to provide the required Student Affidavit to us?

The certificate should not be provided until all course requirements have been met and the completion date on the certificate should match the date that the last of the course requirements have been met. By law and rule, validation of the student’s identity should be one of those requirements.

Driving Safety School

1. How do I open a Driving Safety School?

Contact your course provider for details and fill out the driving safety school application here.

2. Do I need to have my school, or any additional locations, inspected before starting classes?

No, you just need to fill out and return the multiple classroom location form to TDLR to add, update, or remove any classroom locations.

Drug and Alcohol Driving Awareness Program (DADAP)

1. What is the Drug and Alcohol Awareness Program (DADAP)?

A DADAP Course focuses on the effects of drug and alcohol on the driving process and is a court-mandated course. A minor may be required to take the course if convicted of or placed on deferred adjudication (if the minor has not been previously convicted of an offense).

2. How long is the DADAP course? Can I take the course online?

A typical DADAP course is a minimum of 6 hours in length and can be taken online. Please visit the TDLR license search tool for more information.

3. Can my parent or guardian teach me the DADAP course and get a certificate for insurance?

No, the DADAP course must be taught using one of the three pre-approved courses and by a TDLR licensed instructor at a licensed facility or approved online course.

4. Will I receive my completion certificate once I complete my course?

Yes, you will receive the certificate at the end of the class.

5. Who should I contact if I want to become a DADAP Instructor?

You’ll need to contact the DADAP providers for information on how to become an instructor. They will be able to provide you with information on where and when the instructor course will be held, as well as the cost to take the course.

6. How long is the course to become a DADAP instructor? Are there any prerequisites to becoming an instructor?

The course is a 24-hour training session taught by an approved program provider, but if you hold an instructor license for a DWI course, the course may be shorter. For more information on what is required, check our DADAP Instructor License Requirements.

7. What do I need to open a DADAP School?

You will need to download and mail in the application from our website.


Driver Education Instructors

1. What do I need to become a driver education instructor?

There are three types of driver education instructor licenses: Supervising Teacher, Driver Education Teacher, and Teaching Assistant. To apply for a new license, submit a completed Driver Education Instructor Application (PDF) and the $50.00 non-refundable application fee.

2. Where can I take the Instructor Development Course?

You can find a list of all the current Instructor Development Courses available on our website.

You can find a list of approved driver education instructor development courses on the Instructor Development and Continuing Education Course Listings page.

3. Can I transfer my driver education instructor license from another state to Texas?

No, driver education instructor licenses from another state cannot be transferred to Texas.

4. Once I get my driver education instructor license, can I start teaching right away?

Yes, if you’re working for a licensed driver education school or public school as a driver education instructor, you can begin teaching right away.

5. Can I teach a Commercial Driver License (CDL) Course or a course that teaches tractor trailer (18-wheeler) truck driving with my driver education instructor license?

No, vocational driving courses such as commercial truck driving are regulated by Career Schools and Veterans Education Division at Texas Workforce Commission.

6. Where can I get an instructor application?

All the instructor applications can be found on our website.

Continuing Education (CE) for Driver Education Instructors

1. How do I renew my instructor license?

You will receive a renewal form via mail 90 days before your license will expire. You will need to mail in the renewal form, required fee, and proof of completed continuing education.

2. How many hours of continuing education do I need to take?

A Driver Education Instructor must complete 4 hours of continuing education and a Driving Safety Instructor must complete 2 hours of continuing education.

3. What is acceptable continuing education for a Driver Education Instructor?

  • TDLR-approved 4-hour driver education course through a licensed driver education school.
  • * A course specific to teaching techniques or related to driver education provided by an accredited college or university.
  • A program completed with national, state, or regionally sponsored in-service workshops, seminars, or conferences. These programs must be related to the practice of driver education or teaching techniques.
  • * Completion of a Drug Offender Education Program.
  • Public school CE if it relates to the practice of driver education or teaching techniques and is 4 hours in length.
  • A 6-hour driving safety, specialized driving safety, or drug and alcohol awareness course through a licensed school.

Please Note: *Can only be used once every 3 years and you can only use them during the licensed period before your renewal.

  • A license driver education instructor who teaches an approved 4-hour driver education CE can receive credit if they teach the full 4-hour course.
  • An 8-hour school bus driver re-certification training course.

4. If I complete only 4 hours of a 6-hour driving safety, specialized driving safety, or DADAP course, will that count as continuing education?

No, you will need to complete the full course and receive a completion certificate to get credit.

5. If I hold a Texas Teacher Certificate with the Texas Education Agency and a driver education instructor license with TDLR, can I use the same CE hours for both licenses?

Yes, if the course meets the 4-hour requirement and is related to teaching techniques or the practice of driver education.

6. I work for more than one course provider; do I need to complete a CE course for each course provider?

Yes, if you are employed by more than one course provider you will need to complete two hours with each one.

7. Do I have to send all my sign-in sheets with my renewal and fee?

No, only submit the certificate of completion provided to you by the course provider.