Driver Education Resources
On this page:
Driver Education Course in American Sign Language
Senate Bill 1051, passed by the 85th Texas Legislature, required TDLR to create a driver education course in American Sign Language. This course is intended to provide minors and adults who are deaf or hard of hearing a way to fully participate in the classroom portion of the course.
Students viewing this course on the TDLR website will not satisfy the requirements for driver education as prescribed in Chapter 1001 and you will not be able to obtain a permit or driver’s license with DPS. This course must be taken through a licensed driver education school in order to receive your certificate of completion.
Driver Education School Owners interested in offering this course will use Module 1 for the Adult Driver Education course and Modules 1 through 12 for the Teen Driver Education Course.
The course link will only work using Google Chrome.
Community Safety Education Act
The Community Safety Education Act requires that driver education and driving safety courses include information about law enforcement procedures for traffic stops. The Flashing Lights video will be used to fulfill this requirement. The video demonstrates the proper actions for law enforcement officers and motorists to take during a traffic stop, including:
- the role of law enforcement and the duties and responsibilities of peace officers;
- a person's rights concerning interactions with peace officers; proper behavior for civilians and peace officers during their interactions;
- laws regarding questioning and detention by peace officers, including any law requiring a person to present proof of identity to a peace officer, and the consequences when either officers or motorists or passengers fail to comply with those laws; and
- how and where to file a complaint against a peace officer or to submit a compliment for a peace officer.
The TDLR-approved video and Power Point presentation are both available for download.
- Instructors should use the Power Point presentation as a teaching guide to the video. Download the Community Safety Education Act PowerPoint Presentation (PPTX)
- Flashing Lights Video - Download the Community Safety Education Act Video (MP4, 1.8 GB)
The Community Safety Education Act requires that all driver education and driving safety courses include information about law enforcement procedures for traffic stops.The TDLR-approved video and Power Point presentation (both available for download on this page) must be incorporated into your curriculum for all driver education courses and/or driving safety courses by February 1, 2019..
- Download the Community Safety Education Act PowerPoint Presentation (PPTX)
- Download the Community Safety Education Act Video (MP4, 1.8 GB)
Recreational Water Safety
Approval Request to Receive and Issue Driver Education Certificate Form
Transfer Policy for Driver Education