Driver Education and Safety
Sign Up for Email Updates
Stay up-to-date on recent developments with email notifications. Get info on changes to laws and rules, important notices, upcoming meetings, and more.
News and Updates
July 18, 2023
Fingerprints provided for YOUR TDLR application shall be used to check criminal history records of the Texas Department of Public Safety and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, in accordance with applicable statutes.
NOTE: Do NOT schedule an appointment for fingerprinting until after you have filed your license application. All the information you need to schedule your fingerprint appointment will be sent to you after you apply.
FINGERPRINTS SUBMITTED ELECTRONICALLY TO DPS: The DPS has entered into an exclusive contract with IDEMIA to provide statewide electronic fingerprinting through DPS Fingerprint Applicant Services of Texas (FAST) locations operated by IdentoGO. FAST is available by scheduling an appointment on-line at IdentoGO or by calling
1-888-467-2080. DPS FAST locations operated by IdentoGO are committed to a 98% classifiable rate, which means quality prints, less rejections, and quick responses.
1. Scheduling your fingerprint appointment
FAST is available by scheduling an appointment on-line at IdentoGO or by calling 1-888-467-2080.
When Scheduling Online:
- Have the Texas Fingerprint Service Code. If you do not know your service code, contact TDLR via webform here or at (512) 463-6599 or (800) 803-9202.
- Select Schedule or Manage Appointment and follow the prompts to enter “Essential Info” on the initial registration page.
- Next, you will be asked to enter your “Agency Assigned Applicant Number.” This Agency Identifier is your unique TDLR Entity/ID Number. You must enter “LS-” before typing your TDLR Entity/ID Number.
If you are applying for a license for the first time, you can obtain your TDLR Entity/ID Number:
- in the body of the email you received after you submitted your application through the Online Licensing Services system;
- on the Request for Information letter that you receive to notify you that you must complete the fingerprinting process; or
- by contacting TDLR via webform here or at (512) 463-6599 or (800) 803-9202.
If you are already licensed and need to resubmit your fingerprints, you can obtain your TDLR Entity/ID Number:
- in the body of the email you received after you renewed through the Online Licensing Services system;
- on your renewal notice postcard sent to you 30 days prior to your license expiration; or
- by contacting TDLR via webform here or at (512) 463-6599 or (800) 803-9202.
- Complete all other personal identifying information as instructed.
- Select the location nearest to you and a convenient date and
When Scheduling Over the Phone:
- Have the Texas Fingerprint Service Code before calling. If you do not know your service code, contact TDLR via webform here or at (512) 463-6599 or (800) 803-9202.
- IDEMIA will prompt you for the service code.
- The call center operator will ask you for your demographic information, i.e. Date of Birth, Sex, Race, Ethnicity, Height, Weight, Eye Color, Hair Color, Place of Birth and Home Address.
- You will be asked for your Agency Identifier as part of the registration process. This Agency Identifier is your unique TDLR Entity/ID Number. Please see item (c) above in the “When Scheduling Online” section regarding where to locate your Agency Assigned Applicant Number.
- You will select the location nearest to you for your fingerprint appointment.
2. Your Fingerprint Appointment:
- Arrive at your scheduled appointment with your photo identification and fee payment.
- If you plan on bringing a form of identification other than a valid (unexpired) TX Driver License, please refer to the Department of Public Safety’s acceptable document types here:
- IDEMIA accepts Visa/MasterCard/Discover/American Express, business checks, money orders and coupon codes (employer accounts) at the time of service. Please note that personal checks and cash will not be accepted.
- Your fingerprints will be submitted electronically to DPS and the FBI. You will not receive a printed fingerprint card.
- At the conclusion of your appointment, the IDEMIA enrollment agent will provide you with an IdentoGO receipt stating that you were fingerprinted. Do not throw away the receipt. You may be asked to submit it to TDLR for record location purposes.
- You may check status on your submission by clicking on this link: IdentoGO
FINGERPRINTS SUBMITTED BY MAIL THROUGH IDEMIA:
Contact IDEMIA by telephone to submit fingerprints by mail.
- Contact IDEMIA at 1-888-467-2080.
- Have the TX Fingerprint Service Code before you call. If you do not know your service code, contact TDLR via webform here or at (512) 463-6599 or (800) 803-9202.
- IDEMIA will prompt you for the Service Code.
- Inform the IDEMIA representative that you wish to enroll for a card by mail.
- IDEMIA will prompt you for all required information and will guide you through the rest of the process.
PAY BY CREDIT CARD, BUSINESS CHECK OR MONEY ORDER:
During your registration, you will be provided an opportunity to make your payment by credit card or to elect to mail in your payment by business check or money order made out to IDEMIA with your submission.
No personal checks will be accepted.
The cost for obtaining an ink card may vary and is not included in the fingerprint registration process or fee.
Cards must be mailed to the vendor.
Assistance Using the New Online Licensing System
May 5, 2023
Providers can now apply and renew online. TDLR has created a series of step-by-step help documents to guide you through using the new online licensing system.
- Register as a New User in Versa (PDF)
- Driver Education Providers – Renewal Application in Versa (PDF)
- Driver Education Providers - Initial Online Only Applications (PDF)
- Driver Education Providers - Initial In-Person Application (PDF)
- Driver Education Providers - Add Instructors in Versa (PDF)
- Driver Education Providers - Add Endorsements in Versa (PDF)
- Driver Education Providers – Order Certificates in Versa (PDF)
- Driver Education Providers – Initial Branch Application in Versa (PDF)
- Driving Safety Providers – Apply for New License in Versa (PDF)
- Driving Safety Providers – Renewal Application in Versa (PDF)
Licensee Guide to House Bill 1560 Changes
May 10, 2023
TDLR has received a number of questions about changes to the Driver Education and Safety licensing program, and has developed an online, interactive guide that may be helpful in explaining how these changes will affect specific types of licensees. The guide includes information about rules changes that were proposed on February 10, 2023, and will become effective on June 1, 2023.
Draft Rules Posted for Jan. 23 Advisory Committee Meeting
January 17, 2023
On January 23, 2023, the Driver Training and Traffic Safety Advisory Committee will meet to discuss and consider possible action on proposed rules related to the implementation of last session’s TDLR Sunset Bill, HB 1560, Article 5. The Sunset Bill made several statutory changes to the Driver Education and Safety program.
To ensure the public can adequately follow the advisory board’s discussion during the meeting, TDLR is providing the draft rule text. Please note that we will publish the official rule text in the Texas Register on a future date after the advisory board takes action and interested parties will be able to provide comments at that time. If there are any discrepancies between this draft and the official text, the official text as posted in the Texas Register will be the official version.
The January 23 meeting will be broadcast live via the TDLR YouTube channel beginning at 10 a.m. and will be available for viewing later.
Distance Education Temporary Provisions Expire November 1st
August 24, 2022
On March 12, 2020, March 31, 2020, and May 21, 2020, TDLR enacted temporary distance education provisions in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. These temporary provisions allowed licensed in-person driver education schools and in-person driving safety schools to offer distance education because many schools could not provide in-person classes under state or local COVID-19 restrictions.
TDLR’s temporary provisions allowing licensed in-person driver education schools and in-person driving safety schools to offer distance education will end on November 1, 2022.
Driver education schools will need to follow the current provisions in the laws and rules for the approval to offer an online course, if they are not currently approved.
Driving safety schools will need to contact a licensed driving safety provider if they wish to offer an online course or will need to follow the provisions in laws and rules for creating an online course.
If you have any questions, please contact the Education & Examination Division.
Beware Of People Posing As TDLR Inspectors
April 26, 2022
Inspectors for the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation will never request or accept money under any circumstances while calling, visiting or conducting an inspection.
Real TDLR inspectors will:
- introduce themselves;
- show their State of Texas employee ID card;
- provide their contact information upon request; and
- provide their TDLR business card upon request.
Real TDLR inspectors cannot and will not:
- accept payment for license fees;
- request money for violations; or
- charge for inspections.
If someone posing as a TDLR employee approaches or calls you, please contact TDLR and law enforcement immediately. Impersonating a public servant is a third-degree felony in Texas.
Advisory Committee Meetings
January 10, 2024
The Driver Training and Traffic Safety Advisory Committee meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, January 10, 2024 at 10:00 a.m. The meeting will be held via videoconference and will be viewable on TDLR's YouTube channel. Sharing of pre-recorded audio or video is not allowed during the public comment period. When the agenda and staff reports are available, they will be posted online.
April 6, 2023
The next Driver Training and Traffic Safety Advisory Committee meeting is scheduled for Thursday, April 6, 2023 at 10:00 a.m. The meeting will be held via videoconference and will be viewable on TDLR's YouTube channel. Sharing of pre-recorded audio or video is not allowed during the public comment period. The agenda and staff reports are available, they will be posted online.